Is my BTA bleaching?

Bryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a rose BTA from a lfs a month ago and it has been doing great. Readily eating pieces of shrimp i feed a couple times weekly, and expanding to about 5 inches with great bubbles. However I notice that when he really stretches out, if you look close you can see through the orange tentacles and barley see the back of the tank. Is this normal? Or is it starting to bleach? I'm slightly concerned my lighting might not be strong enough, it is a current usa orbit marine led and the nem is about 18 inches deep into the tank. Weekly 10% water changes. Tank parameters are sg 1.024, alk 8 ph 8.4 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a rose BTA from a lfs a month ago and it has been doing great. Readily eating pieces of shrimp i feed a couple times weekly, and expanding to about 5 inches with great bubbles. However I notice that when he really stretches out, if you look close you can see through the orange tentacles and barley see the back of the tank. Is this normal? Or is it starting to bleach? I'm slightly concerned my lighting might not be strong enough, it is a current usa orbit marine led and the nem is about 18 inches deep into the tank. Weekly 10% water changes. Tank parameters are sg 1.024, alk 8 ph 8.4 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5.
Standard orbit or orbit pro?

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's normal for most normal strains of RBTA...even some high end ones will look like that under white lights.

As they expand the color washes out and tentacles become translucent. They colors will show under blues, however, even when expanded.

OP
OP
B

Bryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's normal for most normal strains of RBTA...even some high end ones will look like that under white lights.

As they expand the color washes out and tentacles become translucent. They colors will show under blues, however, even when expanded.
Thanks for your help glad to hear

OP
OP
B

Bryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty scrunched up right now as it usually does this time of night but heres some pics.

IMG_0456.JPG

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks normal to be...

TBH, I think your lights are fine either way... naturally a stronger light gives you more flexibility. Though my guess is the BTA will likely move with the new light

OP
OP
B

Bryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks normal to be...

TBH, I think your lights are fine either way... naturally a stronger light gives you more flexibility. Though my guess is the BTA will likely move with the new light
Well I'm relieved to hear the translucency is normal thanks for the help and the info on the lighting i think you're right that it'd probably move

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a case in point... first shot is a new nem I just put in yesterday while it's still in the bag.

Second shot is it ballooned up in the center of the shot. In the back is a supernova strain that's fiery orange even when ballooned.

20180302_172525.jpg

20180304_204458.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a case in point... first shot is a new nem I just put in yesterday while it's still in the bag.

Second shot is it ballooned up in the center of the shot. In the back is a supernova strain that's fiery orange even when ballooned.

20180302_172525.jpg

20180304_204458.jpg
Ah i see thats pretty much what mine looks like ballooned up too thx for the pics

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back