Is my clam walking???

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So this morning is the second time since I bought this maxima clam (got it all of 3 days ago) that I've found it way away from where I had placed it near the front left corner of the tank. The first time, I assumed it was moved by my MP40 (after all, you can see this guy is tiny), but today, you can see it left a trail. LOL

20161223_055142.jpg

20161223_055114.jpg

The only mobile livestock I have in the tank is a diamond goby, 3 trochus snails, and 3 nassarius snails (and now possibly this clam :confused:).

Thoughts?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, they move when they are that small. Let it be. If it does not stop moving, it could be bothered and could perish. These guys are very finicky. Make sure to have some debris in the water column for the little guy to eat. Phyto, zooplankton, blow the rocks and sandbed at least every two days for these guys.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep, they move when they are that small. Let it be. If it does not stop moving, it could be bothered and could perish. These guys are very finicky. Make sure to have some debris in the water column for the little guy to eat. Phyto, zooplankton, blow the rocks and sandbed at least every two days for these guys.
Thanks for the tip. I'm feeding phyto every 3 days to boost pods and corals get fed 2x per week with coral frenzy, so I'm hoping that will be sufficient for this guy too?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be interested in looking up "Acro Al",, @AcroAlPerth on FB, Al Zil...something. He's on RC, but really doesn't post much and was a speaker at MACNA 2015. He is based in Perth, Australia, and is breeding clams in his carport in a closed system. He is either the only or one of very few people licensed to collect giant clams in Australia.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back