Is my clownfish spawning, or sick?

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female Clownfish has been flicking her body at my male clown for a week now. They are a good pair, and now I was finally able to capture it on video. I do not see any signs of disease other than the flicking which I read can be a symptom, but I think shes spawning. I was hoping someone can confirm? She is a year old now, the male is too.

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female Clownfish has been flicking her body at my male clown for a week now. They are a good pair, and now I was finally able to capture it on video. I do not see any signs of disease other than the flicking which I read can be a symptom, but I think shes spawning. I was hoping someone can confirm? She is a year old now, the male is too.
Sort of a short video but I'd say spawning from what I can see. The belly looks pretty full and likely that's because she has some eggs brewing in there. You'll know the day she lays them because a small tube like organ will extend from her belly. Just after lights out she'll attach them likely close to where she's dancing around.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sort of a short video but I'd say spawning from what I can see. The belly looks pretty full and likely that's because she has some eggs brewing in there. You'll know the day she lays them because a small tube like organ will extend from her belly. Just after lights out she'll attach them likely close to where she's dancing around.
Sorry for the short video, its really hard to get a good video because she stops the second she sees me. I'll try to get another video today or tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep an eye out

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the short video, its really hard to get a good video because she stops the second she sees me. I'll try to get another video today or tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep an eye out
The message maybe I missed actually posting is the behavior is very typical. So instead of worrying just enjoy them being silly. They will one day grow up and you'll miss them being silly.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are weird.... I recently had one stop eating for a few days. Not sure if it was nesting or what but almost refused to come out away from the elegance that is hosting them.
Thought it was sick and was trying to figure out how to help but after a few days or so it came good.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a longer video and I am almost certain now that she is pregnant - she has an insanely large belly! Heres a longer video in white light, you can see dark spots on her belly!

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a longer video and I am almost certain now that she is pregnant - she has an insanely large belly! Heres a longer video in white light, you can see dark spots on her belly!
could someone confirm? And if she is pregnant and her eggs hatch should I let the other fish eat them, or is it possible somehow to keep a few? Thanks

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back