Is my coral okay?

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my first coral a couple of days ago, it's hard to see a close up picture of it but I took the best ones that I can. Is it normal for it to not be opened up? But also at the very bottom looks like a random poylp is opened up? I just can't tell if it's okay or what I should do. Can't currently post exact parameters because Amazon has hasnt gotten my new test kit to me yet and I ran out.

OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my first coral a couple of days ago, it's hard to see a close up picture of it but I took the best ones that I can. Is it normal for it to not be opened up? But also at the very bottom looks like a random poylp is opened up? I just can't tell if it's okay or what I should do. Can't currently post exact parameters because Amazon has hasnt gotten my new test kit to me yet and I ran out.

Forgot to attach pictures.

20200409_145302.jpg 20200409_145137.jpg

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In doubt do a water change it might not be opened up for a lot of reason can yoshow a

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s still fairly new. Did you acclimate it to your tank or just drop it in? It’s going to be hard to diagnose without knowing your parameters. Have you ever had the water tested? Do you know what your salinity is

OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s still fairly new. Did you acclimate it to your tank or just drop it in? It’s going to be hard to diagnose without knowing your parameters. Have you ever had the water tested? Do you know what your salinity is

It was acclimated. Salinity is at 1.024. I did have a store test the water, but they use test strips and an api for ammonia, so I'm not sure how accurate their testing was.

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is a bit low. Most (not all) people run 1.025-.026, but I doubt that had anything to do with it. Some corals are a little sensitive after being placed in a new tank. Lighting and flow can upset a coral, especially if it’s use to for example, leds and you have t5’s. Without having more info, I really wouldn’t be able to give you good advice on what the problem may be.

I do have a recommendation... If you want to have a Reef tank, you should be able to test your water. Stability is key to having a successful reef tank. Believe me, I speak from experience. I have lost some of my favorite corals because I wasn’t testing and missed a big swing with my alkalinity. I have test kits for:
Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium
Nitrates
Phosphates
A digital refractometer for salinity.
Any or all of these being out of whack can definitely have a negative impact on your tank.

Maybe #reefsquad can help. Good luck!

OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is a bit low. Most (not all) people run 1.025-.026, but I doubt that had anything to do with it. Some corals are a little sensitive after being placed in a new tank. Lighting and flow can upset a coral, especially if it’s use to for example, leds and you have t5’s. Without having more info, I really wouldn’t be able to give you good advice on what the problem may be.

I do have a recommendation... If you want to have a Reef tank, you should be able to test your water. Stability is key to having a successful reef tank. Believe me, I speak from experience. I have lost some of my favorite corals because I wasn’t testing and missed a big swing with my alkalinity. I have test kits for:
Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium
Nitrates
Phosphates
A digital refractometer for salinity.
Any or all of these being out of whack can definitely have a negative impact on your tank.

Maybe #reefsquad can help. Good luck!

I know I should be able to test my water, and I do. Last I checked they were all in normal parameters, problem is my wife knocked the test kit and I lost what I had left, so I'm having to wait on my Amazon delivery, but with the COVID 19 stuff it's taking a lot longer to get, so I had to settle for a lfs to test for me (which I did recently, and it all looked fine. I'll slowly get my salinity up to 1.025, I've been doing small water changes since I can't test at home until my red sea test kit gets here just to be on the safe side. And I do have a refractometer that I use as well.

I have also tried moving it to a different spot in my tank with a little more flow, and put it up slightly higher for more lighting, to see if that would help.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a leather or a xenia? It’s inflated so it’s not but so mad.. give it some time, may take a few days or longer for it to straighten out. when You get your test kits posting parameters would be helpful.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I should be able to test my water, and I do. Last I checked they were all in normal parameters, problem is my wife knocked the test kit and I lost what I had left, so I'm having to wait on my Amazon delivery, but with the COVID 19 stuff it's taking a lot longer to get, so I had to settle for a lfs to test for me (which I did recently, and it all looked fine. I'll slowly get my salinity up to 1.025, I've been doing small water changes since I can't test at home until my red sea test kit gets here just to be on the safe side. And I do have a refractometer that I use as well.

I have also tried moving it to a different spot in my tank with a little more flow, and put it up slightly higher for more lighting, to see if that would help.

IMO don't waste your time with LFS testing your water more than likely any results they give you will be wrong.. just wait for your own test. I would skip the water changes for now your tank looks way to clean as it is.

OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a leather or a xenia? It’s inflated so it’s not but so mad.. give it some time, may take a few days or longer for it to straighten out. when You get your test kits posting parameters would be helpful.

Just checked Amazon and says it'll be here Wednesday now ***. It does look like one polyp is fully open at the very, very bottom though. Also I'm not 100% sure what it is.

OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO don't waste your time with LFS testing your water more than likely any results they give you will be wrong.. just wait for your own test. I would skip the water changes for now your tank looks way to clean as it is.

Yeah, I definitely never trusted any test strips. And with my old tank api (which they used for ammonia) was always wrong. So I took their readings with a grain of salt.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell exactly from the picture but I think what your seeing at the bottom is a hitchhiking feather duster ;). were the corals polyps open when you purchased it?

OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell exactly from the picture but I think what your seeing at the bottom is a hitchhiking feather duster ;). were the corals polyps open when you purchased it?

Well, well. I'm okay with that, my old tank never got any hitchhikers, as I started it with dead rock and only added fish and inverts. They weren't fully open, but not as closed as they were when I got it home.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as it doesn't turn white it's ok, it might not color up for months. Lots of the time new corals will stay brown until they get used to the new environment. Your tank does look new, do you have any fish. Fish poo is good food for the tank.

Back