Is my Frogfish growing or not?

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
we have had Mochi, our wartskin frogfish, for almost a year now and we feed him approx. 2 saltwater shrimp every other day and he has stayed there same size (about an inch) for maybe 6-8 months.
It just doesn’t seem like he is growing and I’m not sure why. I don’t want to over feed him as I’ve heard this is a major problem. I’m not so much worried as I am curious. I thought I would be feeding him damsels by now.
Any thoughts or advice are very welcomed. Thanks!

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
we have had Mochi, our wartskin frogfish, for almost a year now and we feed him approx. 2 saltwater shrimp every other day and he has stayed there same size (about an inch) for maybe 6-8 months.
It just doesn’t seem like he is growing and I’m not sure why. I don’t want to over feed him as I’ve heard this is a major problem. I’m not so much worried as I am curious. I thought I would be feeding him damsels by now.
Any thoughts or advice are very welcomed. Thanks!
Ask @lionking.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From about an inch, if fed properly, they usually more than double in size the first year. Feed them their full, until you see a nice bulge in their belly, wait a few days in between until they become a bit active, hunting as it were. At about a year;s time one could easily be putting down 10 ghosties a week, depending on the size of course. I usually start out every other day, then move to a couple times a week, and so on until about once a week or even as long as 10 days. Their activity will tell you what their feeding schedule will be, and even though they can eat themselves to death, they usually also tell you when they are full. It is better to serve several smaller items, than ones so big they can barely get down, that's really how it becomes dangerous, Some guppies for live gut flora would be a good addition. Make sure to feed the ghosties and guppies some pellets just before feeding, gut loading, I use Omega One micro pellets. Make sure to keep mg level at least at reef level, 1250-1300ppm. I keep mine at 1400ppm. Mg is good for digestion, an important point with ambush predators that are more sedentary.

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From about an inch, if fed properly, they usually more than double in size the first year. Feed them their full, until you see a nice bulge in their belly, wait a few days in between until they become a bit active, hunting as it were. At about a year;s time one could easily be putting down 10 ghosties a week, depending on the size of course. I usually start out every other day, then move to a couple times a week, and so on until about once a week or even as long as 10 days. Their activity will tell you what their feeding schedule will be, and even though they can eat themselves to death, they usually also tell you when they are full. It is better to serve several smaller items, than ones so big they can barely get down, that's really how it becomes dangerous, Some guppies for live gut flora would be a good addition. Make sure to feed the ghosties and guppies some pellets just before feeding, gut loading, I use Omega One micro pellets. Make sure to keep mg level at least at reef level, 1250-1300ppm. I keep mine at 1400ppm. Mg is good for digestion, an important point with ambush predators that are more sedentary.
Wow, holy ****. This helped tremendously thank you SO MUCH. This makes a lot of sense, too. We feed the ghosties PE mysis right before feeding to Mochi. I’ll be sure to keep better track of his movements and him telling me when he’s hungry and not.
Again, thank you so much!!

Back