Is my long nose hawk fish dying?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cdemoss01
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cdemoss01

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2023
Messages
6,264
Reaction score
21,691
Location
Roanoke
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I haven't been experiencing any types of disease lately or strife however today something very weird has happened. I fed a piece of LRS frozen food. He took the whole chunk and swallowed it I guess. But then right after he started acting weird. His mouth is open and he's breathing a little heavy. Does he have an obstruction? It's been about 2-3 hours. Hes lethargic.
#fishmedic
 
Hello,
I haven't been experiencing any types of disease lately or strife however today something very weird has happened. I fed a piece of LRS frozen food. He took the whole chunk and swallowed it I guess. But then right after he started acting weird. His mouth is open and he's breathing a little heavy. Does he have an obstruction? It's been about 2-3 hours. Hes lethargic.
#fishmedic
Will needs video showing the condition of the fish you describe
 
Will needs video showing the condition of the fish you describe
Can't get a video. He's hiding in the darkest spot. However he's seemed to have balanced out.
 
Can't get a video. He's hiding in the darkest spot. However he's seemed to have balanced out.
Be sure to feed small pieces. Easier to add than trying to remove
 
Fish grabbing a bigger piece than they can handle has always scared me. I've seen them struggle a few times. I had to intervene once and carefully pull it out when my tilefish decided the whole clam was for him...

Also, LRS Reef Frenzy occasionally has some really large chunks that don't come apart when defrosted, and I sometimes accidentally feed them. I wish the consistency was a bit better.
 
Fish grabbing a bigger piece than they can handle has always scared me. I've seen them struggle a few times. I had to intervene once and carefully pull it out when my tilefish decided the whole clam was for him...

Also, LRS Reef Frenzy occasionally has some really large chunks that don't come apart when defrosted, and I sometimes accidentally feed them. I wish the consistency was a bit better.
You mean fish frenzy ? I have seen occasional large pieces in Fish Frenzy. I was fortunate yesterday to get 5 packs at 1/2 price due to a store closing
 
You mean fish frenzy ? I have seen occasional large pieces in Fish Frenzy. I was fortunate yesterday to get 5 packs at 1/2 price due to a store closing
Reef Frenzy. I believe that should be smaller than Fish Frenzy, but I still sometimes find very large chunks in there that even my tilefish struggles with eating. And that was a great deal! I wish LFS here stocked them, I have to order online in bulk every time, 8 packs minimum.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new