Is my nem ok? Looks like it's splitting

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are s u p e r close to the water! The tank with the BW is still young but we’re gettin there!! The peninsula was started up in Feb 2020, starting to look really good!
4C7D6A63-0BD9-4DB4-B3E9-24C1D4234724.jpeg
DF16F47D-2799-48AD-A76B-9B5FB9BF7CE6.jpeg
9E747F6C-B5F5-4A02-A9CF-FBD8F4E349BB.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of the lights might be suspended a little high but that's the best I could do with the wire provided

20200829_184155.jpg 20200829_184142.jpg
OK step one, get that light closer to the water. Alot closer. You really need to think about a better light or getting rid of the nem...

OP
OP
Valum

Valum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say it but that light isn't very powerful. Your nem is climbing up high close to the light because it isn't bright enough. You could probably keep some easy corals like mushrooms but nothing that needs strong lighting
These lights are much better suited for nems and most corals

Can you provide any information to support this or provide some further information I can take constructive criticism but I need to know the basis or suggestions to make the criticism constructive

After doing 5 minutes of research now I have come accross
Source

This quotes 5 watts per gallon and the tank size is 100L or just under taking into account rock and substrate
5 watts per gallon is just on the requirements according to this source

The nem has been healthy up to now and is obviously now reproducing my local fish store suggested this light for the tank when I bought the nem

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide any information to support this or provide some further information I can take constructive criticism but I need to know the basis or suggestions to make the criticism constructive

Source

This quotes 5 watts per gallon and the tank size is 100L or just under taking into account rock and substrate

The nem has been healthy up to now and is obviously now reproducing my local fish store suggested this light for the tank when I bought the nem
Hey I think you’re doing a good job just btw. I think a simple extension cord could solve your light problem. Or you could sell your current light and get an AI Prime. Mine cost me $100 each including the arm (Bought used on Craigslist) and attach right to the wall of the tank so you’ll never have a problem with lighting unless you upgrade the tank. It brings out beautiful colors in all of your corals and seems to be great for everything. I’m even growing a maxima clam, SPS, LPS, softies, zoas, goni, scolies, nems, you name it! I also really love the control app for it and how minute I can adjust the colors. It’s got several different ‘blue’ settings because there are several different shades of blue and I love it! Here are the settings I run
99D932EF-961A-437A-8C2A-FDFE8A85C500.png
F049877F-7F58-41B9-9FDE-747E3FE47BE0.png

OP
OP
Valum

Valum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I think you’re doing a good job just btw. I think a simple extension cord could solve your light problem. Or you could sell your current light and get an AI Prime. Mine cost me $100 each including the arm (Bought used on Craigslist) and attach right to the wall of the tank so you’ll never have a problem with lighting unless you upgrade the tank. It brings out beautiful colors in all of your corals and seems to be great for everything. I’m even growing a maxima clam, SPS, LPS, softies, zoas, goni, scolies, nems, you name it! I also really love the control app for it and how minute I can adjust the colors. It’s got several different ‘blue’ settings because there are several different shades of blue and I love it! Here are the settings I run
99D932EF-961A-437A-8C2A-FDFE8A85C500.png
F049877F-7F58-41B9-9FDE-747E3FE47BE0.png

Yeh don't get me wrong this was just a starter light to get me going I have got plans to upgrade the tank but this would definitely come with a light upgrade

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Source

Hey I don't mean to be so negative, I just don't want to see that nem you paid for wasting away. When a nem climbs the tank or a coral starts stretching it is an obvious sign that it isn't getting enough light. You can get a cheap black box led on ebay for under $100 and grow any coral you want (I can link one if youd like). I'm not a lighting guru but at 24w total and all those diodes they can't be very strong leds. I really don't like the watts per gallon rule. I personally wouldn't use anything for corals/nems unless it has 3w led diodes. If your gonna hang it so high you might even want 5w diodes.

I'm not gonna go linking articles because I'm not a reef scholar (lol), my knowledge (if I can call it that) is all based on personal trial and error from being in this hobby for 10 yrs (yes I've tried and failed with corals/nems in the past with fixtures similar to yours)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back