Is my snail dead?

Alexander1312

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 10, 2022
Messages
271
Reaction score
189
Location
San Francisco Bay Area, California, United States
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large baseball size snail which has not moved for a couple of days.

Its foot is entirely retracted.

I am worried to keep a dead snail in the tank releasing all types of ammonium and potentially phosphate, I assume.

The tank size is around 150 gallons.

How do I know it is dead or just dormant?
 
Smell test is indeed the most effective.

After several days, the snail was still retracted, and I did the smell test.

Unfortunately, it smelled very bad.

My assumption that a dead snail is not able to retract is therefore wrong.

I do not normally spend a ton of time about my clean up crew, but this snail was very large, hence my concern.
 
Sad to lose such a snail. I find them to be very interesting.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new