Is my urchin spawning?

Reefing_Engineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I was looking at my tank (20L) and noticed my urchin had small opaque balls on it! Normally it’s tentacles are long and maybe there just bounces up right now? Please let me know what you think, because I’ve only seen pictures in here of males releasing sperm into the water! Thanks in advance!

66C35357-0C98-4624-8A41-61606070F40B.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefing_Engineer

Reefing_Engineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins spawning will look something like these. It looks like your urchin just has it's feet pulled in for some reason.

Okay thanks for those! I had only seen videos of sperm released and wasn’t sure what eggs might look like! I’ll make sure none of my fish are picking at the feet or anything, so thanks for that heads up too!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn’t but saw it climbing toward the top when this happened so was curious! Looks like it’s a no though!
The eggs (from what ive seen - are on long threads - and are smaller than the one on your particular urchin. Then there is usually a cloud of sperm - which you could have missed. What I'm not sure of is whether EVERY urchin spawns in the same way - Its also possible to induce them to spawn.

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eggs (from what ive seen - are on long threads - and are smaller than the one on your particular urchin. Then there is usually a cloud of sperm - which you could have missed. What I'm not sure of is whether EVERY urchin spawns in the same way - Its also possible to induce them to spawn.
Dude i just had my urchin release stuff it turned my entire tank white.

Back