Is my YWG ok?

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My YWG did wonderful in QT and did what you'd expect from a watchman. But after moving to my main tank, two months ago he doesn't stay on the sandbed and will sometimes swim around the tank like crazy. I have really sensitive inverts thriving so is there something to be concerned about? See video.

For the first month he made a home and acted Normal now he's being weird, no ond around me has a pistol shrimp for sale. All levels in tank are within normal parameters according to hanna tester.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
nitrate 7
Phos 0.05

Attachments

• 20221215_094324.mp4
    67.3 MB

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video with narration :)

Is it eating? I'm very careful to make sure my YWG gets some when I feed as it's not the most aggressive fish and can easily be outcompeted I've found.. Mine will move around a bit when it's hungry I think

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video with narration :)

Is it eating? I'm very careful to make sure my YWG gets some when I feed as it's not the most aggressive fish and can easily be outcompeted I've found.. Mine will move around a bit when it's hungry I think
I haven't seen him eat before besides being in QT but he has to be, it's been 2 months since introduction. When he's in the water column and I feed Flakes or mysis he ignores it

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. How's its tummy look? Should be slightly rounded showing good health. See if you can get it to eat and see how it behaves on a full stomach

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're kind of oblivious sometimes but when mine is hungry he definitely has a feeding response. I've noticed mine likes flakes better than mysis (go figure). He responds a lot to flakes

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a YWG about two weeks ago. He did the same thing! I was wondering if he was broken! Lol. He did it for like a week. But he is good now, paired up with my shrimp and is now doing YWG things!
I'm looking for a shrimp. No one has any

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a shrimp. No one has any
I personally think he will be fine, just getting use to the new tank. I think he will be ok with out a shrimp, they can survive with out them. If I could go back, I would not get a pistol shrimp, just cause her tears up all my snails!

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think he will be fine, just getting use to the new tank. I think he will be ok with out a shrimp, they can survive with out them. If I could go back, I would not get a pistol shrimp, just cause her tears up all my snails!
You think this is normal 2 months in?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the flakes getting to it? You have a good sized tank. Mine rarely leaves a 1ft square area. If the food doesn't get really close to him he doesn't go far...unless he's really hungry then he'll chase a little. But being new yours might be distracted by other stuff etc... If it's been 2 months it must be eating; just commenting on how mine behaves (similiarly) when I perceive it as hungry

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the flakes getting to it? You have a good sized tank. Mine rarely leaves a 1ft square area. If the food doesn't get really close to him he doesn't go far...unless he's really hungry then he'll chase a little. But being new yours might be distracted by other stuff etc... If it's been 2 months it must be eating; just commenting on how mine behaves (similiarly) when I perceive it as hungry
I use a thin turkey baster to feed him. Almost try for direct feeding. This time I'll shove it in his face. Get all wet lol

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other observation is that when someone is messing with the gobies usual spot he'll move around a bit. I have a Coral Beauty that is in everyone's business and a pistol shrimp that doesnt like the goby... so sometimes it gets fed up and moves around a little when those two encroach.. but usually settles down and goes back after a bit

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think this is normal 2 months in?
2 months? I must of overlooked that part. But as long as he is eating and nothing messing with him, he will be fine. I was worried about mine cause I had a yellow damsel that was messing with him pretty bad. I definitely think he will be better off with a shrimp, just cause of that natural symbiotic relationship they form. I usually spot the few I have with a long syringe I got off Amazon. Took them only a few days to get use to, now as soon as I put it in, they go crazy for it.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other observation is that when someone is messing with the gobies usual spot he'll move around a bit. I have a Coral Beauty that is in everyone's business and a pistol shrimp that doesnt like the goby... so sometimes it gets fed up and moves around a little when those two encroach.. but usually settles down and goes back after a bit
No feeding response from either mysis or Flakes. And it was right in front of him

Attachments

• 20221215_101019.mp4
    49.3 MB

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think he is just looking for a place to hide and is scared. Goby probably doesn't understand what he is suppose to be doing yet! Got any frozen mysis or garlic paste to add into the food?

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think he is just looking for a place to hide and is scared. Goby probably doesn't understand what he is suppose to be doing yet! Got any frozen mysis or garlic paste to add into the food?
Won't touch them. But I'm starting to think my male clownfish is the problem. I really don't want to get rid of them but If they don't stop it'll end in a dead fish. I'm going to try one last thing and get a pistol shrimp. Maybe that'll get the clown off the gobies back

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back