Is one AP9X enough?

neznarf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I’m curious if people feel 1 AP9X would be sufficient in a Red Sea Reefer 350. I’m planning on a mixed reef. BRS recommends 2, based on the in depth video (linked) they did.

So is 1 enough? I‘d appreciate any feedback/guidance, thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You would give you best coverage and color waves

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I’m curious if people feel 1 AP9X would be sufficient in a Red Sea Reefer 350. I’m planning on a mixed reef. BRS recommends 2, based on the in depth video (linked) they did.

So is 1 enough? I‘d appreciate any feedback/guidance, thanks!

You'll be able to do an LPS / softie tank with one lamp extremely well. You may be able to get some higher light corals towards the middle and top of the tank, but if you're looking for really high-light demanding Acros, you may want to consider two.

I've seen phenomenal 4' tanks with one lamp, I've seen great tanks with 2 lamps, and there's some users who have decided to run 1 AP9X and 2 A360X at an angle (lazy_reefer on IG has a pretty unique looking one in that setup - he added the A360X as things started to grow).

Let us know how else we can help!

OP
OP
neznarf

neznarf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be able to do an LPS / softie tank with one lamp extremely well. You may be able to get some higher light corals towards the middle and top of the tank, but if you're looking for really high-light demanding Acros, you may want to consider two.

I've seen phenomenal 4' tanks with one lamp, I've seen great tanks with 2 lamps, and there's some users who have decided to run 1 AP9X and 2 A360X at an angle (lazy_reefer on IG has a pretty unique looking one in that setup - he added the A360X as things started to grow).

Thank you!

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I suggest 2, don’t skimp on lights because trust me the sps bug will bite you and it’s better to buy it once then 2 or 3 times because you went cheap or because you didn’t plan out the system long term.

Last edited:
OP
OP
neznarf

neznarf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest 2, don’t skimp on lights because trust me the sps bug will night you and it’s better to buy it once then 2 or 3 times because you went cheap or because you didn’t plan out the system long term.
Thanks!

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But imo radions blow kessils out of the water in every way, I have kessil A160s for swaps and they are alright but they just can’t compare to radions even the larger ones.

OP
OP
neznarf

neznarf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But imo radions blow kessils out of the water in every way, I have kessil A160s for swaps and they are alright but they just can’t compare to radions even the larger ones.
I was deciding between the Radion XR30 G5 and the Kessil AP9X and ended up settling on the Kessil. I just purchased another so I'm locked in at the moment LOL. Will definitely keep this in mind if I'm not happy with the results. Thanks again.

MissingYuengling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So if I plan to stay in the LPS/softie categories, one AP9X should cover my 48”x24” x20” well enough? Thanks

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I plan to stay in the LPS/softie categories, one AP9X should cover my 48”x24” x20” well enough? Thanks
Probably not. You wouldn't have the spread to the outside that well. 2 360s would be better in that case.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it should cover for you. You'll need to mount it decently high, depending on your rockwork, but it will illuminate the space just fine for you.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high did you mount it if you don't mind me asking?
I have it about 6.5" above the water and I still get full tank coverage. In fact I have a softie that must have come on a live rock that is on the bottom right next to the side of the tank, and it is growing like crazy.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back