Is putting ammonia strait into a pico reef tank good or bad?

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if putting bottled ammonia is going to effect my tank and or coral really badly? It’s 2 gallons and I’m trying to use the ammonia to substitute feeding the tank and just letting food decompose to increase nitrates because my nitrates are at 0 even if I feed my tank. But my phosphates will go up. That’s where I’m wondering if dowsing ammonia will increase my nitrates without phosphates to help the coral. But idk allot about what damage it would do in the early stages of adding the ammonia.
1610519113543.jpeg

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. You really do have to be very careful with additives in a pico tank, as it's easy to overdose. I added two drops of Brightwell Quikcycl in my 2g jar...and overdosed. I had to do a complete water change, and my mushroom frags pouted from the treatment. Maybe other corals like ammonia more.

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious the reasoning for wanting to raise nitrates? Everything looks good in the picture to me. If you are worried about color or coral health you can alway spot feed to keep them happy. Love the rock nem i am wanting one for my pico hopefully sooner rather than later but i am trying to iron out some issues i have been having as of late.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If there is no problem in the tank - IMHO you shouldn't need to add anything. Perhaps if anything - add a fish? What was the reason you wanted to add ammonia?

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s probably safer to dose nitrates with that size tank. Dosing ammonia can be done (I do it in a 100g), but you’d need to really closely monitor your levels in a tank that size.

Another avenue maybe get a shrimp and feed him?
Ya I have 2 hermit crabs and I could see a peppermint shrimp in the picture because I do have crazy aptasia. But I’m worried about my LPS coral in that small of a tank with that shrimp

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. You really do have to be very careful with additives in a pico tank, as it's easy to overdose. I added two drops of Brightwell Quikcycl in my 2g jar...and overdosed. I had to do a complete water change, and my mushroom frags pouted from the treatment. Maybe other corals like ammonia more.
Ya I noticed the first day doing it my zoas opened up more

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious the reasoning for wanting to raise nitrates? Everything looks good in the picture to me. If you are worried about color or coral health you can alway spot feed to keep them happy. Love the rock nem i am wanting one for my pico hopefully sooner rather than later but i am trying to iron out some issues i have been having as of late.
Ya I’m just trying to create a better inviorment for the tank and raising my nitrates from 0 to at least something because the coral will use sum amount of nitrate and they are keeping it down really low so I figured I would bring it up to make sure there is ensign trace elements or whatever they are using is in the tank. And some of those corals like it better in a little more of a dirty tank

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is no problem in the tank - IMHO you shouldn't need to add anything. Perhaps if anything - add a fish? What was the reason you wanted to add ammonia?
To control the peramiters in that way and make sure other trace elements are there and some coral like the more dirty water along with diatom algae control.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a coral food given your situation. However, if you do dose ammonia, I would dilute your ammonia source to a very weak solution and slowly increase dosing rate over time. If that goes well reduce both your dilution and dosing rate in half and continue to slowly increase how much you add again.

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a coral food given your situation. However, if you do dose ammonia, I would dilute your ammonia source to a very weak solution and slowly increase dosing rate over time. If that goes well reduce both your dilution and dosing rate in half and continue to slowly increase how much you add again.
What coral feed should I try?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 147 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back