is quarantined fish worth it?

BRS
Corals.com
Corals.com

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
If the fish was truly quarantined before being sold, I do agree that it is worth it. One of the downsides of quarantining fish yourself, is that well, the fish might die. It is good that the fish dies while being quarantined, because obviously it is not potentially bringing whatever caused it to die into the main aquarium. But well, if it does die, you'd have to buy another one and quarantine that new fish again. Buying quarantined fish skips that step.

Only thing I am worried about is the quarantining process at the store, whether it is 'up to par'.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting
OP
quirkylemon103

quirkylemon103

View Badges
Reaction score
If the fish was truly quarantined before being sold, I do agree that it is worth it. One of the downsides of quarantining fish yourself, is that well, the fish might die. It is good that the fish dies while being quarantined, because obviously it is not potentially bringing whatever caused it to die into the main aquarium. But well, if it does die, you'd have to buy another one and quarantine that new fish again. Buying quarantined fish skips that step.

Only thing I am worried about is the quarantining process at the store, whether it is 'up to par'.
I was planning to buy online

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
I say yes on the quarantined fish. If the store truly quarantines fish it is a great investment if you don't have the space or money to set up your own QT tank. I have had great luck with TSM Aquatics, fish have been added to my tank and I've never had any disease.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
I plan to order online I was thinking marine collectors
and I don't have any fish yet
I’ve bought multiple fish from Marine Collectors and all have been great. They are treated and are eating prepared foods before they ship. In retrospect, FAR better fish than other online vendors that I won’t name but rhymes with Five Favaria...

Maxout

mikeg18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
For sure if the process is done correctly. As you fish population grows the risks of introducing a sick fish to wipe out everything grows. I’m lucky enough to have an lfs who does this routinely.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
I have similar questions, where can we buy quarantined fish, especially in Southern California area. Thanks all
Lucky you! Adam Sklar at Ocean Devotion in LA.

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
I know of very few stores that QT fish and those that do rarely do so for long enough periods. Its just the nature of the business. Hats off to those that do!

That being said....If you aint QTing everything that goes in your tank, your walking on water chancing that the ice dont break! Sooner or later your gonna get wet and cold!

tfeeken

View Badges
Reaction score
Also keep in mind, even though they say they quarantine their fish, what does that actually mean? A number of people I've seen that state they QT fish at home, all they're doing is observing, maybe treating with General Cure and Focus in their food (internal) and possibly in the water column (external). That however isn't treating for what most really are concerned about, which is Brook, Uronema, Ich, and Velvet, all things that will literally wipe out a tank.

Fritz
BRS

Have you ever had a Angelfish in your reef tank?

• Yes and it was a model citizen (tell us which one)

Votes: 104 32.3%
  • Yes but it did nip from time to time

Votes: 46 14.3%
  • Yes but I had to remove it because it went rogue

Votes: 25 7.8%
  • No but I would like to try one

Votes: 93 28.9%
  • No and not interested

Votes: 42 13.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 12 3.7%
Route 66 Marine Wholesale