is quarantined fish worth it?

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is buying fish pre quarantined worth it?
I do have money and space for a quarantine but tank space is really valuable and I feel confused about everything to do with medicating fish(I don't know what I'm confused about I just am)

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar questions, where can we buy quarantined fish, especially in Southern California area. Thanks all

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second only to QT by yourself, it’s better than no defense at all.
My store has done a great job in pre QT fish, but, every store different.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish was truly quarantined before being sold, I do agree that it is worth it. One of the downsides of quarantining fish yourself, is that well, the fish might die. It is good that the fish dies while being quarantined, because obviously it is not potentially bringing whatever caused it to die into the main aquarium. But well, if it does die, you'd have to buy another one and quarantine that new fish again. Buying quarantined fish skips that step.

Only thing I am worried about is the quarantining process at the store, whether it is 'up to par'.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it’s worth it. If you quarantine your corals and CUC, etc. I’ve reached the conclusion that a big UV is a safety net. Personally for fish, I’ve done a safety stop and an observation period, in a separate tank. Good so far. Who the hell quarantines CUC?

OP
OP
Lemon

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish was truly quarantined before being sold, I do agree that it is worth it. One of the downsides of quarantining fish yourself, is that well, the fish might die. It is good that the fish dies while being quarantined, because obviously it is not potentially bringing whatever caused it to die into the main aquarium. But well, if it does die, you'd have to buy another one and quarantine that new fish again. Buying quarantined fish skips that step.

Only thing I am worried about is the quarantining process at the store, whether it is 'up to par'.
I was planning to buy online

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the money, yes it's worth it. If you have the time, you can QT yourself but it's a relative hassle and only worth it if you don't have the money.

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say yes on the quarantined fish. If the store truly quarantines fish it is a great investment if you don't have the space or money to set up your own QT tank. I have had great luck with TSM Aquatics, fish have been added to my tank and I've never had any disease.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to order online I was thinking marine collectors
and I don't have any fish yet
I’ve bought multiple fish from Marine Collectors and all have been great. They are treated and are eating prepared foods before they ship. In retrospect, FAR better fish than other online vendors that I won’t name but rhymes with Five Favaria...

mikeg18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure if the process is done correctly. As you fish population grows the risks of introducing a sick fish to wipe out everything grows. I’m lucky enough to have an lfs who does this routinely.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar questions, where can we buy quarantined fish, especially in Southern California area. Thanks all
Lucky you! Adam Sklar at Ocean Devotion in LA.

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of very few stores that QT fish and those that do rarely do so for long enough periods. Its just the nature of the business. Hats off to those that do!

That being said....If you aint QTing everything that goes in your tank, your walking on water chancing that the ice dont break! Sooner or later your gonna get wet and cold!

tfeeken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep in mind, even though they say they quarantine their fish, what does that actually mean? A number of people I've seen that state they QT fish at home, all they're doing is observing, maybe treating with General Cure and Focus in their food (internal) and possibly in the water column (external). That however isn't treating for what most really are concerned about, which is Brook, Uronema, Ich, and Velvet, all things that will literally wipe out a tank.

Back