Is Reef Roids = Amino Acids?

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it sufficient to feed ULNS (w/ SPS, LPS, Morphs) with Reef Roids only?

s-l300.jpg

#reefsquad #LPSexperts #SPSexperts

And being known to be lazy, is it acceptable to just broadcast the food with the wavemakers, return and skimmer on? #lazy

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

s-l300.jpg

And being known to be lazy, is it acceptable to just broadcast the food with the wavemakers, return and skimmer on? #lazy
I suppose once it breaks down it'll produce No2 and po4. not sure how an lps will do in a ULNS, and I don't know what a Morphs coral is.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

s-l300.jpg

Lol hashtag lazy, forreal. Thats up to you on broadcast feeding. Keep in mind, when you target feed, theres some security that the actual food particles are being consumed. Broadcast feeding, im sure it makes it to the coral but majority can potetially just settle out and what not. For nutritional purposes, not sure. Although i never used reef roids, corals benefit greatly from any type of plankton. I think its sufficient on itself

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reefroids. Half dose, 2x a week, with tank water, and broadcast it. Target feeding will only make them go into protection mode. Crazy what it has done for my zoanthids. Frog spawn has 5 more heads growing out now. 2 Aussie Gold torches have grown about an inch and half in 1 month. Candy Cane has 11-12 fluffy bells. Got it with 3. Almost 4 months now using it. Rastas zoanthids went from 8-28 polyps. Radioactive dragon eyes went from 7-44+. I don't bother counting anymore it works that good.

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef roids about 2-3 times a week. I target feed though. I can see a difference in my corals growth a day or two later. Especially my stylo.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Me I Target feed all my LPS with reef frenzy and goniopower which is similar products to Reef Roids. For SPS I does Red sea energy which is mix of Amino acids, carbs, fatty acid and vitamins. and I like the results so far.

IMO any dry coral food like Reef Roids, reef frenzy etc. is not needed for sps you can just overfeed the tank with pellets and flakes, eventually these foods will break down and will have same end results as Reef Roids which is NO3 and PO4 , there will be no Amino Acids, so that is why I like to does red sea energy . however for LPS, it is different as you can clearly see the feeding response for many LPS like acans blastos and gonis while target feeding.

Last edited:

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you guys say protection mode, you mean the coral is closing up because of too much flow hitting it in the mouth? I notice this when I push the food at the coral too hard so I generally kill all the water movement by turning off all pumps and filters and then softly blow the food to the coral. After I am done, I only turn on the powerhead for about an hour.

Captain coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody shuts off the flow for them or target feeds them in the wild. :)

There's also no dry food in the wild. Just sayin!
True but many reefs are near places that have rivers exiting to the ocean or other sources of nutrients that are constantly or intermittently flowing. They don't need a large quantity all at once because they are getting small amounts all the time.

Back