Votes: 29 6.4%

• Total voters

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite tanks was nothing but fancy goldfish and gravel. Small tank, no filter, just weekly water changes for years. Wife bought me another goldfish and lost everything soon after due to some goldfish disease. Still...very simple, very easy, and just loved watching it. That's part of why I want the shell dweller tank.

But no plans to give up the Reef. I'm enjoying that far too much.
When the kids were small, we went to a wedding that had glass vases with bettas swimming around, tap water change weekly and that fella was around for quite awhile. I might just do that with an Ivy or something on top :rolleyes:
My wife has given me the go to dismantle "her" FW cube tank and turn it into a terrarium...it may not have the space for fish, but may try some amphipods and snails.
Ever have a Newt, their are some colorful ones and would be perfect.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of cool fish for freshwater. I still look at the fresh water section when I go to the lfs. Freshwater always has the warm look to it, while salt has a cool look (color wise).

I honestly have no space for one. So far in to the salt with all the tanks upstairs running off the basement sump.

But who knows, might get bored one day and switch the while system to fresh.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both. Planted for a long time. While I loved my planted tanks, I got bored of them within a year and it winds up being turned into a reef, lol.

Reef is much more colorful, more eye grabbing and a lot more personality with the fish. I feel like Fresh water is "just there". My visitors hardly ever looked at my freshwater tank when the reef is there.

I do have a small 2.5 gallon freshwater tank that's planted with shrimp and a female betta which I enjoy.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have this "Koi Reef" in the Nursing Home my Mother used to live in.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had fw fish tanks, but never had a planted tank. I've seen some really nice planted ones which made me think about it. But then I hear planted tanks are just as hard to take care of as reef tanks. So I will stick to reef.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, those fish are about 16" long.
You can also see a foot long catfish behind the large fish in the center.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too!
24063329-9D66-47BA-A9CF-484B667A265E.jpeg
Very nice! I love the wild type bettas!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have both also. Need another option on the poll.

+1

Not to mention, non-reef saltwater tanks, brackish, etc. There are many different types and salinities of tanks. Keeping a wide variety of tanks has made me a better fish and aquarium keeper, a better conservationist, and a better person.

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I now prefer reefing over freshwater I would definitely think about certain species ta is for freshwater again, our have roll a custom vivarium set up where I could run fish, as well as terrestrial/arboreal reptiles too

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why planed tanks aren’t that good. Because you can have THIS in your yard instead lol. Salt water or ponds are the best IMO
I totally agree! Though I having to dose Exit due to a flatworm issue in my reef tank. First time I’ve ever had this issue. Just hope my $$$ acans do okay. A little nervous ! Lol

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My freshwater planted tank is just as interesting.it is calm in serene. Btw. Just as much science involved
You have a great point Snuggs. I am a licensed landscape designer and own a landscape company and work with plant’s on dry land 5 days a week.. I used to have planted tanks when I was younger but I guess I get burnt out on plant’s lol!

Snuggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a great point Snuggs. I am a licensed landscape designer and own a landscape company and work with plant’s on dry land 5 days a week.. I used to have planted tanks when I was younger but I guess I get burnt out on plant’s lol!
Ahh. I am an avid gardener as well. My hubby tells me that there is a twelve step program for my plant addiction. Apparently I enjoy the science of growing things. I have a masters in biology and nursing

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh. I am an avid gardener as well. My hubby tells me that there is a twelve step program for my plant addiction. Apparently I enjoy the science of growing things. I have a masters in biology and nursing
Very Nice. Yes gardening is addictive as well even for me . I am going to have to buy more land around my home so I can plant more material!
This hobby is so addictive to me as well . After a hectic day it’s nice to just to come home and relax in front of my tanks and koi pond .
It’s been a nerve racking day due to flat worm infestation in my reef tank today . I decided to treat with Exit today. My acans are not looking well! So this hobby is sometimes not relaxing needless to say!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back