Is Reefkeeping Expensive?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more expensive than reading books, but less expensive than going to the bar.
Stock your bar at home...it's cheaper. And with my fish I never drink alone. And no they haven't started talking back...except for the goby, but he's just ticked about his roommate so I just let him vent.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could get 10 beers a week for what I paid for reef stuff last year so depends
Ten beers at a bar would cost 50 bucks plus tip. I'd say my reef costs less per week to keep running.

I compare it to my friends who like to go out in weekends, and I know they probably spend 100 doing whatever.

I like my reef better than hitting the bar. But my wife likes to read books and thinks the reef is expensive.

I'd say it's middle of the road. It can be a bit pricey to get started but upkeep and occasional upgrades aren't bad

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ten beers at a bar would cost 50 bucks plus tip. I'd say my reef costs less per week to keep running.

I compare it to my friends who like to go out in weekends, and I know they probably spend 100 doing whatever.

I like my reef better than hitting the bar. But my wife likes to read books and thinks the reef is expensive.

I'd say it's middle of the road. It can be a bit pricey to get started but upkeep and occasional upgrades aren't bad
I included startup costs

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After startup and stocking I spend barely any money; salt, some frozen food, poly pads that cost about 5$ and every six months R/O cartridges.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the very fair price of 2 Mona Lisa’s I can sell you one. Comes with some ocean-front property in Nebraska as well ;)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone at BRS made a list of all the products and cost it would take to set up a decent but not top of the line tank with products you sell? Pick a tank you offer, rock, sand, salt, powerheads, lights, plumbing, ato, RO/di- all that and come up with an price tag. Not this “to get you started” stuff to reduce sticker shock, but a realistic package cost.

Will that seem expensive?

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I offered that as a contest idea . Just have people setup a realistic cart with everything it would take to run a decent breeder setup for a year

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How expensive has Reefing been for you?

Would you consider it very expensive or have you found ways to make it pretty affordable?

it comes down to what you can afford, you don't want to be that person who owns a truck or big SUV and gas prices rise up and you start complaining that gas prices are high. That person cannot afford a truck or large SUV.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the phrase? “If you have to ask, you can’t afford it”

Personally, I’ve been describing reefing as a poor man’s sailboat.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran some quick math on what it would take to setup a 40 gal breeder on t5s with cheap low end new parts and an aqua clear 110 and I get a minimum of 600$. To run it for a year add 100 for salt and 100 for test kits and you are at 800, add 250’for electricity and now you are at 1k without livestock or stand.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back