Is something wrong with my sea anemone?

JBN61511

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We brought home our sea anemone about 2 weeks ago, it attached to our Halloween crab but being new to the Marin aquarium we thought the anemone was hurting the crab so we separated them... Come to find out they were just friends...Our anemone has not attached to anything other than the crab and as of yesterday our anemone is looking a bit "gross" shriveled, foggy in color, and very still. I thought maybe it was due to not attaching soo I kind of moves and pushed it up on our live rock (it seems to have attached).

Does it look like it will survive? Should I take it out? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

IMG_20170321_111521.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights are you running on your tank?

Also, can you provide all water parameters and tell us how long your tank has been setup? Ammonia & nitrate readings are most important in this situation.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks bleached :( if it hasn't settled in this far it may be ill. You could try moving it to a clean hospital tank and treating with cipro. I'm currently doing the same with a haddoni that was attacked by an opportunistic cleaner shrimp [emoji52]

ETA. Provided everything else @Humblefish requested checks out, parameters, lighting, etc.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you feed the anemone directly yet? I could just be hungry. I made that mistake thinking that all I had to do is broadcast feed and the anemone would take care of itself. I feed twice a week now. a small slice of shrimp. Now I have two:D

OP
OP
JBN61511

JBN61511

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a Fluval AquaSky LED light
We keep our tank at about 75° PPT is at a about 1.023. there are soo many settings for our light, what would be best. We normally turn it on to the white color and then dark blue at night.

OP
OP
JBN61511

JBN61511

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you feed the anemone directly yet? I could just be hungry. I made that mistake thinking that all I had to do is broadcast feed and the anemone would take care of itself. I feed twice a week now. a small slice of shrimp. Now I have two:D

Yeah i was hoping this was this issue so i fed ship this morning but didn't seem interested

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i was hoping this was this issue so i fed ship this morning but didn't seem interested

As you stated the system is pretty new, next would be the parameters to help. I would try feeding again just before the light go out the night.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah honestly I'm not sure my husband brought it home he's at work right now so thought I could figure this out before but I will ask him when he is home...Looks like it is though

Those need really strong light. I'm not sure if your LEDs are reef grade.

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a really bleached Condy. Is it attached to anything or free floating? has its mouth closed yet or is it still in the spitting its guts out position?
lights may not be strong enough for a Nem either.
new tanks are tough to keep nems in... my tanks are dedicated to anemones and i usually wait a year of STABLE conditions before adding any

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back