Is T5 still one of the best choices in reef lighting.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polo reef has a MH tank side by side with a led tank. MH grew the corals out faster and color is better, they talked about it extensively. You can see the evidence. And that is ok…it’s okay if an older lighting technology is better at times at growing corals. I am a scientist for living and that is about as controlled of a study as it gets in the hobby. It’s equivalent to an observational study with elements of a controlled environment. You can check out the YouTube video, came out a few weeks ago. Doesn’t mean leds don’t work well. No one is saying that. So there is no reason to come in Here to a thread asking about T5 and getting anxious that you need data to make you feel good about your leds or my reefbreeders.

I’ve grown corals under all lighting options. T5 grew the corals the fastest, I like MH the best, and leds make the corals pop the most. All my experiences and opinions. As much as this is a scientific forum it’s also a forum full of experiences and opinions.

If I feed three kids differently in that one gets flavored water, one gets sparkling water, and one gets water, and all three grow at different rates, does that mean that the water is the cause of the diffferences in growth?

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I feed three kids differently in that one gets flavored water, one gets sparkling water, and one gets water, and all three grow at different rates, does that mean that the water is the cause of the diffferences in growth?
No, you can conclude an association, but not causation. Then, in the discussion section of your research, you can express theory and framing that may suggest the association to be causation, but you typically must highlight the limitations.

There is nothing wrong with saying you observed kid 1 grow faster than kid 2 and kid 3 after kid 1 consumed flavored water. Stating what you have observed is a result; its a finding. No one is forcing anyone to believe the result, just stating what the observation was. I write like this all the time in my published research.

Andrew Sandler stating he observed faster growth in the metal halide side of his dual system is not incorrect. You can disagree with his observation and choose to believe it's due to something else, perhaps something else that was not measured. As I mentioned, it is a semi-controlled experiment at best. I am not going to refrain from sharing his experience though because you don't like his observation. You're welcome to share more concrete evidence that states the contrary, would be happy to read it in my @Spare time ;)

dricc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think debating religion and politics aren't as hotly debated as lighting is on this forum. I use metal halide ,t5 and some led for one hour of pop( I know I'm still a child and I also grew up in the 60s and 70s black light era) I think metal halides and t 5 may have some properties that led don't possess.Do I know this as fact? No . I'm happy with my choice but if someone enjoys led ,more power to them.

BaileyPayner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just set up a new acropora grow out system that consists of 2 tanks plumbed into a common sump. One tank will be for grow out colonies specifically, and will be lit by an 8 bulb T5 fixture. The other is for frags and lower light SPS colonies. It will be lit by an LED and 4 bulb T5 combo.

Last edited:

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first pic the Rainbow Loom was grown under T5 & LED. The 2nd pic was taken today, less than a week after I added halides to the light mix. The colors are already richer.

Pic #1 is with only T5 on. Pic #2 is just halides. No filter or editing.

IMG_0835.jpeg IMG_1122.jpeg

OP
OP
Cichlid Dad

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this video that explains in very basic terms how LEDs work. It's long but way worth the watch. It also shows us why blue LEDs and reef lights cost so much more than regular led lights.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back