Is T5 still one of the best choices in reef lighting.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I think so. T5 inarguably provide the best/most even coverage and they are plenty powerful enough to grow basically anything depending on application.

I've just set up a new acropora grow out system that consists of 2 tanks plumbed into a common sump. One tank will be for grow out colonies specifically, and will be lit by an 8 bulb T5 fixture. The other is for frags and lower light SPS colonies. It will be lit by an LED and 4 bulb T5 combo.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve used and tested every major type of lighting. They all work. They all have their place.

Nanos and picos were nearly impossible to light before LEDs. Small T5s tend to suck and there was never a good choice for low wattage halides.

Very large tanks suck to light with T5s. Changing 16+ bulbs is wallet hurting and time consuming.

I don’t see any real use for T5s at this point but totally understand those that still use and love them. They will do the job for sure

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blades are the T5 replacements. Same spread less wattage and maintenance.
Not that we’re here to save money…lol…but like 400 bucks per blade I find is ridiculous. I don’t know where the affordable narrative is coming from. Mind you I’m running the pretty pricey mitras 7206 so I’m not one to talk about costs, just saying…I don’t think blades and T5’s are that comparable overall.
Personally, for the new builds and moving forward I’m investing in either T5’s or quanta pros. 95 percent decided on quanta’s. Can’t find a T5 fixture I like available anymore.

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that we’re here to save money…lol…but like 400 bucks per blade I find is ridiculous. I don’t know where the affordable narrative is coming from. Mind you I’m running the pretty pricey mitras 7206 so I’m not one to talk about costs, just saying…I don’t think blades and T5’s are that comparable overall.
Personally, for the new builds and moving forward I’m investing in either T5’s or quanta pros. 95 percent decided on quanta’s. Can’t find a T5 fixture I like available anymore.
FWIW I have 2x quanta’s supplementing my 3x Hydra 32’s on my 48” tank. I couldn’t be happier with them

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 is the most cost efficient way to light a high light tank today, specifically ATI fixtures. You can light a 6' tank with bulbs brand new for $850 (way cheaper used today). Par over 700 up high, 200+ on sand with blanket coverage. Bulbs will go 18 months with a little par reduction regardless of what regurgitation you read on here. Corals grow fast and extremely dense under t5. Only thing that I don't like about T5 is strictly appearance related. SPS florescence looks a little flat compared to 20k halide and LED. Adding some blue reefbrite or other led strips helps with this.

OP
OP
Cichlid Dad

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blades are the T5 replacements. Same spread less wattage and maintenance.
Although I agree that blades are a good alternative to T5, one blade 48 inch is 420.00. if it were even a 2 to 1 replacement meaning 3 blades for 6 t5, t5's run 30.00 per bulb. 6 bulb replacement per year is 180 dollars. I can replace All if my r5 for two and a half years for the cost of one blade. For the cost of three blades it would be 7 and a half years worth of replacement bulbs. Don't cost out to me.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Having run T5 since the early days and then the Blades, the Blades are superior in almost every way. If they can improve spectrum on version 2, they are easily one of the best lights on the market. By improve I mean include all 5 LED spectrums on one Blade.

More PAR per watt, best spread of any LED, actually controllable unlike T5s, tons of pros over a T5 setup.

3 of the 57” Blades gave me SPS PAR all over my 72*36 tank. It would have taken at least 8 T5s minimum to compare.

OP
OP
Cichlid Dad

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 is the most cost efficient way to light a high light tank today, specifically ATI fixtures. You can light a 6' tank with bulbs brand new for $850 (way cheaper used today). Par over 700 up high, 200+ on sand with blanket coverage. Bulbs will go 18 months with a little par reduction regardless of what regurgitation you read on here. Corals grow fast and extremely dense under t5. Only thing that I don't like about T5 is strictly appearance related. SPS florescence looks a little flat compared to 20k halide and LED. Adding some blue reefbrite or other led strips helps with this.
I'm still using the indoor grow fixture I paid 125.00

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a little diy, most any old fixture can be disguised to look pretty dang good imo.

My old diy t5 with IC 660 ballast would hit par of 900+ but I would smoke the bulbs in 6 months max :D

Check out this over my last cube :D Par was over 1000 up high with other lights.

IMG_2930.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back