Is T5 still one of the best choices in reef lighting.

OP
OP
Cichlid Dad

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old diy t5 with IC 660 ballast would hit par of 900+ but I would smoke the bulbs in 6 months max :D

Check out this over my last cube :D Par was over 1000 up high with other lights.

IMG_2930.png
I love it! Best of every word!

delv2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can light my 300 acro tank with an eight bulb ATI (running 640 watts...only at peak) and change out bulbs every year or so. A convincing equivalent would be six XR30 to get a similar spread (peak watts over 1200).

For the same $6.400 I can have three new ATI fixtures and almost twenty years of bulbs. Especially for a superior light that grows anything, frag to colony.

Changing bulbs takes ten minutes? Once every 12-18 months? Really?

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can light my 300 acro tank with an eight bulb ATI (running 640 watts...only at peak) and change out bulbs every year or so. A convincing equivalent would be six XR30 to get a similar spread (peak watts over 1200).

For the same $6.400 I can have three new ATI fixtures and almost twenty years of bulbs. Especially for a superior light that grows anything, frag to colony.

20 years!! You better get some extra t5 ballasts too

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely not going to say your wrong and as someone that has used many types of lights I will say it depends on the tank and how you like your tank to look. Each of the 3 major types of lights have there own look if your looking for just growth then maybe this makes sense. But I will argue that led has a better look and can be changed easily to the viewers liking. A hybrid setup could be an option as well but I think it's hard to say what the " right" way is.

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that we’re here to save money…lol…but like 400 bucks per blade I find is ridiculous. I don’t know where the affordable narrative is coming from. Mind you I’m running the pretty pricey mitras 7206 so I’m not one to talk about costs, just saying…I don’t think blades and T5’s are that comparable overall.
Personally, for the new builds and moving forward I’m investing in either T5’s or quanta pros. 95 percent decided on quanta’s. Can’t find a T5 fixture I like available anymore.
I bought a used 24” 4 bulb t5 for supplement for $100 and the bulbs are about $80. If I did not buy it used it would be about $300 then the bulbs. I could get 2 blades for about the same price as the t5s. Seems affordable to me.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The longest T5 fixture is 60” and will comfortably light a 72” tank. 8 bulbs covers 24-30” at most especially in an ATI that uses narrower, more focused reflectors. So let’s assume your tank is 72*30 since that’s the largest an 8x80w ATI can realistically cover.

An XR30 can easily cover 30*24 with each fixture. At most, you need 3 XR30s. 6 XR15s would be even better as they can easily cover 72*36 so you get a little more overlap.

Claiming you need 6 XR30s means your tank is much larger than the ATI can actually handle or you want even more coverage than your T5s.

T5s are cheaper up front for most tanks but power usage, ballast replacement, and bulbs tend to offset the total cost. ATI ballasts tend to last 2 years tops. It’s amazing how many died at 13 months back in the day. Then again, some go much longer. It’s a crap shoot and so many hobbyists never factor this into the equation. Changing them sucks too.

OP
OP
Cichlid Dad

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longest T5 fixture is 60” and will comfortably light a 72” tank. 8 bulbs covers 24-30” at most especially in an ATI that uses narrower, more focused reflectors. So let’s assume your tank is 72*30 since that’s the largest an 8x80w ATI can realistically cover.

An XR30 can easily cover 30*24 with each fixture. At most, you need 3 XR30s. 6 XR15s would be even better as they can easily cover 72*36 so you get a little more overlap.

Claiming you need 6 XR30s means your tank is much larger than the ATI can actually handle or you want even more coverage than your T5s.

T5s are cheaper up front for most tanks but power usage, ballast replacement, and bulbs tend to offset the total cost. ATI ballasts tend to last 2 years tops. It’s amazing how many died at 13 months back in the day. Then again, some go much longer. It’s a crap shoot and so many hobbyists never factor this into the equation. Changing them sucks too.
Yes cheaper up front. I agree over time it may be a wash or even more expensive. The great thing about cheaper up front is most anyone can afford to light a reef very well for cheap. No real learning curve and have success. The video shows how easy and fool proof t5 lights can be. My belief is it's maybe the best option for first time reefers. Just my thoughts.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather replace T5 ballasts and bulbs, as long as reflectors/fixturs are kept from salt damage they would last a long time.

One XR30 malfunctions after one year, and poof, automatic 5 years plus on your ATI, or new 8x80 with some extra bulbs

All three XR30 replacement, game over

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Led are not as energy efficient as they claim.

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used 24” 4 bulb t5 for supplement for $100 and the bulbs are about $80. If I did not buy it used it would be about $300 then the bulbs. I could get 2 blades for about the same price as the t5s. Seems affordable to me.
2 24” of the limited spectrum grows, sure, but that’s a tiny tank. Anything is inexpensive there. Move into a 3 foot tank and want some “UV” and each blade is over $400. Looking at 3 and you’re at $1200. Affordable being relative, that’s alot of money.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes cheaper up front. I agree over time it may be a wash or even more expensive. The great thing about cheaper up front is most anyone can afford to light a reef very well for cheap. No real learning curve and have success. The video shows how easy and fool proof t5 lights can be. My belief is it's maybe the best option for first time reefers. Just my thoughts.

My point was more about how ridiculous the numbers were in the post I quoted

delv2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, I've a tank that's 72 by 30 by 30....I've got and use 550 Par 24 inches down growing full acro colonies top to bottom. Show me three XR30'3 that can do that? Ecotech's own recommendations say 24 by 24...your comparison is factually wrong.

I've used Radions since the G4, I currently use two G5 XR15's that barely pump out enough light for half of a standard 75 gallon tank 8 inches deep. The corals on the other half lit by a 250 watt Radium outgrow and out color the two Radions easily. Wattage is similar, I don't need to run the Radium as long to make up for the anemic output.

As far as your comparison, even if you can only afford three XR30's (you're willing to keep acropora to the top half) you can still buy an 8 bulb, multiple replacement ballasts, and ten years of bulbs. Never mind the coverage is nowhere near as complete.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I've a tank that's 72 by 30 by 30....I've got and use 550 Par 24 inches down growing full acro colonies top to bottom. Show me three XR30'3 that can do that? Ecotech's own recommendations say 24 by 24...your comparison is factually wrong.

I've used Radions since the G4, I currently use two G5 XR15's that barely pump out enough light for half of a standard 75 gallon tank 8 inches deep. The corals on the other half lit by a 250 watt Radium outgrow and out color the two Radions easily. Wattage is similar, I don't need to run the Radium as long to make up for the anemic output.

As far as your comparison, even if you can only afford three XR30's (you're willing to keep acropora to the top half) you can still buy an 8 bulb, multiple replacement ballasts, and ten years of bulbs. Never mind the coverage is nowhere near as complete.

550 PAR is a complete waste as proven by Dana Riddle many times over.

With 6 XR15s I have over 400 PAR at my top SPS which are about 10” under water. I have over 250 PAR on the sand and I’m not even running at 100%. At 100% I can push towards 500 PAR. Which, has already been proven, to be a complete waste. Corals go in photo inhibition long before these numbers.

I have SPS at every level in my system as well. None are hurting for light.

Last update I saw from Ecotech was 32*24 for SPS on one XR30 so no, I’m not wrong there. I also have PAR tests to confirm these numbers. I also have a decade plus of PAR info from T5s of all kinds.

To claim you need 6 XR30s to cover the same one 8x80w Sunpower is just factually incorrect on so many levels

OP
OP
Cichlid Dad

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
550 PAR is a complete waste as proven by Dana Riddle many times over.

With 6 XR15s I have over 400 PAR at my top SPS which are about 10” under water. I have over 250 PAR on the sand and I’m not even running at 100%. At 100% I can push towards 500 PAR. Which, has already been proven, to be a complete waste. Corals go in photo inhibition long before these numbers.

I have SPS at every level in my system as well. None are hurting for light.

Last update I saw from Ecotech was 32*24 for SPS on one XR30 so no, I’m not wrong there. I also have PAR tests to confirm these numbers. I also have a decade plus of PAR info from T5s of all kinds.

To claim you need 6 XR30s to cover the same one 8x80w Sunpower is just factually incorrect on so many levels
Agreed on the par. I've seen some evidence of the same thing. Much over 350- 400 and they go into protection mode.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the density of the coverage that makes the difference. I don't think you will find many guys with actual experience who will tell you that 3-xr30 will outgrow a 60" 8 bulb t5 fixture. Just like T5 won't make the color fluoresce like the led will.

AustinBabler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to go to T5/MH combo. I’m sick of my LEDs. I just want to set it and forget it. My ai primes I can’t stop messing with them. Always second guessing if my spectrum is correct. If I were to stay with led I’d get Kessils. Kessil logic seems to be pretty straight forward no BS.

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 24” of the limited spectrum grows, sure, but that’s a tiny tank. Anything is inexpensive there. Move into a 3 foot tank and want some “UV” and each blade is over $400. Looking at 3 and you’re at $1200. Affordable being relative, that’s alot of money.
I have a 24x24” tank, I have not compared larger sizes too closely, but this makes sense. I would probably only use the grows, if I was just supplementing, and if it was my main light I think I would use 2 grows and 1 show so that’s around $950. I think that seems more reasonable. A 36” 6 bulb ATI would only be about $680 with all the bulbs, but then you need to replace them every year or so, so after 2 years you are at about the same price. So at that size it would be up to what works better for my corals.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back