Is that candy cane receding?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that candy cane receding? Its few weeks old.

IMG_7897.jpeg

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same thing happened to mine. Watched it turn white from the stalk base up to heads. I’m not positive what caused it but for weeks mag and all were pretty low (1150ppm and 7.5dkH)

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to mine. Watched it turn white from the stalk base up to heads. I’m not positive what caused it but for weeks mag and all were pretty low (1150ppm and 7.5dkH)
So mine is receding basically?

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that candy cane receding? Its few weeks old.

IMG_7897.jpeg

Mine occasionally does this then puffs up again.they are a good indication of something being not quite right in my experience.are tentacles still showing at lights off?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine occasionally does this then puffs up again.they are a good indication of something being not quite right in my experience.are tentacles still showing at lights off?
Yes my parameters are good 1430 mag, alk 8.2, calcium 430, ph 8.3. The candy cane is few weeks old.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see anything to indicate they aren’t healthy. When I had an unhealthy one the tissue receded where it was entirely inside the “bowl” on top, it recovered under lower lighting. They definitely are a coral with moods, will pull in really tight at times where you can see skeleton outline and sometimes let it out and appear 50% larger.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see anything to indicate they aren’t healthy. When I had an unhealthy one the tissue receded where it was entirely inside the “bowl” on top, it recovered under lower lighting. They definitely are a coral with moods, will pull in really tight at times where you can see skeleton outline and sometimes let it out and appear 50% larger.
I agree though, I don't see anything wrong fwiw

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I suggest getting some flow in that area of the tank? The gsp should be swaying like grass in a field and I bet the caulastrea might like it as well. Do some research on flow and it's importance to corals. Don't go overboard, but get on board ;)
Increased the flow 5% from 45%. Reef crest mode. 5% wont hurt anything so we gonna see.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my parameters are good 1430 mag, alk 8.2, calcium 430, ph 8.3. The candy cane is few weeks

Yes my parameters are good 1430 mag, alk 8.2, calcium 430, ph 8.3. The candy cane is few weeks old.
Looks fine to me.as others have said they are a bit moody.i did find it got a little less "fluffy" along with my euphyllia when my nitrates dropped below 3ppm

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back