Is the Bulk Reef Supply PAR meter "rental" worth it?

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply essentially does the PAR meter rental where you can return the meter within 60 days for their $100 restocking fee. But I was also reading the reviews and most people said it was useless without the handle, which is $70 to own and can't be returned like the meter I don't think. Is the around $170 before tax worth it for the PAR map of my tank lighting?

Right now I'm just going off of the Bulk Reef Supply AI Prime recommendations for my mixed reef (even distribution of SPS, LPS, and softies).
IMG_0330.PNG
IMG_0329.PNG

I mainly ask, because some of my LPS corals in the middle of my tank are getting bleached. Whereas my softies at the same level are doing very well.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a handle with 1 in pvc pipe and a 45deg fitting. I cut a slot at the bottom, drilled a hole and attached the par sensor. The cable goes inside the pipe. I can take a pic when I get home if interested.

IMO it's best to buy the sensor direct from Apogee. Mine is the mid-level one w/usb which cost like $400 iirc and should be calibrated yearly, but I use it often enough to justify the expense. If you have a reef club in your area someone has one you can borrow or go in on one with a handful of local reefers.

I think the $100 rental option is reasonable, since you mostly need to measure par during setup then once par is dialed in leave settings alone.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh no... that is so much just for a rental. Used to be $30 :rolleyes:

The softie's doing well is no surprise. While they can survive under low light conditions, they actually do very well under high light too.

It seems by your description, your LPS are in a spot receiving too much light. You don't need to spend $170 to know that.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if you are going to spend that much... you could just own the USB par meter and connect it to a windows or mac.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if you are going to spend that much... you could just own the USB par meter and connect it to a windows or mac.

I had no idea that was a thing. My tank is on my desk, so that would be super easy. And yes, I’ve been trying to find a balance between giving my SPS near the surface enough light and my LPS near the bottom not too much.

I might seriously consider the USB one

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Call BRS...the handle was included in my rental.

Note that there are going to be some good deals during the upcoming holidays. The price of a PAR meter may drop quite a bit. After renting from BRS, I purchased one for future use about $100 or so off the normal price.

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apogee SQ-120 is the same sensor as 420 except it plugs into multimeter instead of laptop. Costs less than $200. IMHO much more convenient than lugging a laptop around. You do have to use a calculator to figure out the par.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a handle with 1 in pvc pipe and a 45deg fitting. I cut a slot at the bottom, drilled a hole and attached the par sensor. The cable goes inside the pipe. I can take a pic when I get home if interested.

IMO it's best to buy the sensor direct from Apogee. Mine is the mid-level one w/usb which cost like $400 iirc and should be calibrated yearly, but I use it often enough to justify the expense. If you have a reef club in your area someone has one you can borrow or go in on one with a handful of local reefers.

I think the $100 rental option is reasonable, since you mostly need to measure par during setup then once par is dialed in leave settings alone.

Pease do!

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located as I know in SoFla we have at least 1 store that you can rent for $40 for I think 3 days. I’m pretty sure I remember seeing some other sites renting them out.

here’s one just have to wait for it to come back available.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located as I know in SoFla we have at least 1 store that you can rent for $40 for I think 3 days. I’m pretty sure I remember seeing some other sites renting them out.

I live in Wisconsin

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If corals are bleaching then you surely know the cause? You dont need a par meter to tell you why? If you want a par meter for future reference then purchase in time, move your corals or just adjust lighting

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

which store?

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pease do!
OK

I actually used 3/4 in pvc, and a 45deg elbow fitting. Probably $5 in parts from home depot.

I cut the 45deg fitting with a dremel, then drilled a hole for the mounting screw. Easy peasy.

Mine is an SQ-520 and I paid $345 in Mar 2020. This model is now $438 so nearly double the price of the SQ-420 someone linked. So I would go with the 420. The 520 is supposed to have more accurate measurements for leds but for our purposes I doubt it matters much.

20211101_175907.jpg 20211101_175848.jpg 20211101_180033.jpg 20211101_181701.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's costs $80 to "rent" the par meter from BRS for up to 60 days and it comes with a wand unless something has changed in the past couple months. It's totally worth it if you dont want to invest the $400-500 to own one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back