Is the Sohal Tang Really A Bully ?

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fishes do you have especially tangs ? How big is the tank ?

Honestly most of the Acanthurus family might get aggressive towards other fishes of the same family especially powder blues, browns or Achilles if you have them . Not to mention they do get pretty big !

Regards,
Abhishek

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sohal is one my favorite tangs. Grew one from a little guy to a mature adult. The fish turned into an absolute nightmare after maturing, I even wear a scar, lol. Could not add any fish to the tank and the fish he grew up with were definitely bullied a bit. I'd have to put 4 seaweed clips due to the fish not letting anyone eat. He would zoom from one end to another protecting his seaweed;Hilarious Maybe in a very large tank it might work out better. We rehomed the sohal due to the tank being to small. Heres a pic from baby to adult right before we rehomed him.
20180712_1327191.jpg
20180913_085947.jpg

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sohal is one my favorite tangs. Grew one from a little guy to a mature adult. The fish turned into an absolute nightmare after maturing, I even wear a scar, lol. Could not add any fish to the tank and the fish he grew up with were definitely bullied a bit. I'd have to put 4 seaweed clips due to the fish not letting anyone eat. He would zoom from one end to another protecting his seaweed;Hilarious Maybe in a very large tank it might work out better. We rehomed the sohal due to the tank being to small. Heres a pic from baby to adult right before we rehomed him.
20180712_1327191.jpg
20180913_085947.jpg

That looks so amazing @DSC reef .. Sadly i think they would need a minimum of 500 gallons to live long term . However, nothing is a bigger ******* than a clown tang though !

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be a new 125g in a wall. We will transfer a yellow tang we currently have and plan on a Purple tang. The only possible aggressive fish will be our favorite fish, the Clown Trigger. We had one in the 90's and have one this time as well.

The Sohal will get large, and we're a fish keeper naming our fish and will never trade them off, unless he's killer. lol...

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be a new 125g in a wall. We will transfer a yellow tang we currently have and plan on a Purple tang. The only possible aggressive fish will be our favorite fish, the Clown Trigger. We had one in the 90's and have one this time as well.

The Sohal will get large, and we're a fish keeper naming our fish and will never trade them off, unless he's killer. lol...

Its sad but true as @DSC reef mentioned . 125 is not enough especially with clown trigger in it which is probably equally aggressive or more may be .

Regards,
Abhishek

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its sad but true as @DSC reef mentioned . 125 is not enough especially with clown trigger in it which is probably equally aggressive or more may be .

Regards,
Abhishek
I've had adult clown triggers try to get me through the glass;Hilarious A LFS had one my wife and I would visit. Very cool looking but man super aggressive!

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea...I’m afraid @DSC reef is right on this one. If you put a sohal in a 125, you eventually will have lots of issues. As he grows he’ll be really cramped and get pretty nasty about it. My suggestion.... rehome him now before you get attached to him or start thinking about an upgrade! 300 gallons would be about minimum I would suggest for a sohal. I will say that I think they are one of the most beautiful fish out there. Stunning!

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't have one, just thinking and researching which fish we want. But, they get too big. dang.....lol

I would suggest to stay clear from the sohal and look at other smaller genus like Ctenochaetus and Zebrasoma . May be one Acanthurus but personally I would be hesitant .

Regards,
Abhishek

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 125 will not work long term. That's why we had to rehome ours.

Yea...I’m afraid @DSC reef is right on this one. If you put a sohal in a 125, you eventually will have lots of issues. As he grows he’ll be really cramped and get pretty nasty about it. My suggestion.... rehome him now before you get attached to him or start thinking about an upgrade! 300 gallons would be about minimum I would suggest for a sohal. I will say that I think they are one of the most beautiful fish out there. Stunning!

I would suggest to stay clear from the sohal and look at other smaller genus like Ctenochaetus and Zebrasoma . May be one Acanthurus but personally I would be hesitant .

Regards,
Abhishek

While we've got all you very knowledgeable members around I figured I'd poke in and ask, are there any Acanthurus tangs that could work in a 125? I would love to have one, not picky, love them all. Tank Dimensions 60" x 30" x 17". I know it's only 5 feet but it's all the boss would let me get:( I was hoping for maybe a white cheek or something similar...:)

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a white cheek would work but acanthurus really like to dart and swim. Personally I'd go with zebramosa like a purple;)

Do you think that it's worth a shot? I do love the purples as well, but there's just something about the Acanthurus' that still gets me. But as hard as it will be to not get one, I won't get something that can't be happy long term. This will be the tank for many years to come so, no plans on upgrading.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we've got all you very knowledgeable members around I figured I'd poke in and ask, are there any Acanthurus tangs that could work in a 125? I would love to have one, not picky, love them all. Tank Dimensions 60" x 30" x 17". I know it's only 5 feet but it's all the boss would let me get:( I was hoping for maybe a white cheek or something similar...:)
If your tank were a foot longer I’d tell you to go for it! I’m sorry if I’m a downer.... I just don’t want you to get attached (like I would) and then realize he needs a bigger house. And, of course, my opinion may be different than others... probably is! Keep asking. There are tons of helpful people! I also had a purple tang.... he might do ok in a 125.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank were a foot longer I’d tell you to go for it! I’m sorry if I’m a downer.... I just don’t want you to get attached (like I would) and then realize he needs a bigger house. And, of course, my opinion may be different than others... probably is! Keep asking. There are tons of helpful people!

Honestly, if it were a foot longer I probably wouldn't ask;):p But, I am most certainly in the same boat as you. I would have SUCH a hard time rehoming a fish I've had for a while (Have had my clowns for almost 3 years and when I was debating a clown harem, put money aside for a rather expensive custom nano just so I didn't have to rehome them, lol)

BTW @427HISS I apologize for semi-hijacking your thread, it kindof seemed in line with what you were originally asking. Just with slightly more friendly Tangs

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back