Is the Sohal Tang Really A Bully ?

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, if it were a foot longer I probably wouldn't ask;):p But, I am most certainly in the same boat as you. I would have SUCH a hard time rehoming a fish I've had for a while (Have had my clowns for almost 3 years and when I was debating a clown harem, put money aside for a rather expensive custom nano just so I didn't have to rehome them, lol)
I speak from experience! Right now, I have a scribbled Rabbitfish and a yellow tang in my 60 cube. They were really tiny when I got them now they’re much bigger and they will have to go. I’ve just ordered a fish trap so I can get them out. I’ll probably find another tiny tang and put him in for a bit. Then I’ll have to find a home. I will probably keep getting little ones cause I need the algae control.

MikeW9788

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sohal is one my favorite tangs. Grew one from a little guy to a mature adult. The fish turned into an absolute nightmare after maturing, I even wear a scar, lol. Could not add any fish to the tank and the fish he grew up with were definitely bullied a bit. I'd have to put 4 seaweed clips due to the fish not letting anyone eat. He would zoom from one end to another protecting his seaweed;Hilarious Maybe in a very large tank it might work out better. We rehomed the sohal due to the tank being to small. Heres a pic from baby to adult right before we rehomed him.
20180712_1327191.jpg
20180913_085947.jpg
That is a real beautiful fish

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had two sohals .... there won’t be a third .... well, not until my 12’ 1,600 gallon tank becomes a reality :D. Bully doesn’t quite capture the essence of this fish. Psychotic works better for me. Generally they’re fine until getting beyond 8” and then they go insane. Then you’ve got a pair of swimming razor blades on your hand. My second one, in a 6’ 320 killed all the other large fish in my tank and then went to work on my arm. Unless you’ve a HUGE tank, don’t try. Clown is almost as bad. Never kept triggers.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The exotic tangs are not really aggressive, but territorial, and if the tank is too small they will claim the entire tank...Aggressive is something like Blueline Trigger, they bite anything they get near, or that tries food they want to eat.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does Monster sum it up ??

Ive never had a more beautiful and fat tang as a sohol but holy moly - talk about a bully, territorial Food eating pig. SERIOUSLY !!!

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 265. Was great for like 6 months. After that complete jerk.
He bully’s my much larger powder blue and hates my 3 much smaller yellow tangs

He doesn’t like my 2 barred rabbit fish much but it is much bigger and doesn’t run from him. My sohal probably Hates him be he eats all his nori. Yes I said the sohal nori. Like dscreef states any nori you out into the tank the sohal will claim and defend

He also bully’s bad my 2 mata tangs. Luckily these are the fastest growing saltwater fish I ever had. They went from 1 inch babies to 5 inch eating machines in 1 year

I am in the process of trying to catch my sohal. Simple don’t like to watch it chase all these fish around

Lucky for me he mostly leave my 35 other fish alone

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pretty tame one...in a 500g, of course. In addition to researching the heck out your fish selection, I’d also recommend that a fish like a sohal be added last. As a juvenile, if possible. My problem was that my guy eventually got too large (and active) for even my tank! Lasted several years though. Doubtful I’d try another one unless I had a truly monster tank.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clown trigger isn't a good idea for a 125 either.

They get huge (1 1/2 feet+) https://www.fishbase.de/summary/2300 . They are alone with titan trigger in their own genus, if that tells you anything.

When we got into saltwater in the 90's we had a in wall 75g. We bought our Clown Trigger that was apx 2" long, real baby and named him Bubba Joe.

About 3 years later we bought 200g mainly for him. A few years later he grew to about 12". He didn't bother anybody, small or large.
He was so,... funny ! Then he had glaucoma in one eye, then the other and stopped eating and sadly died. We still miss him today !

We had a cleaner wrasse and Bubba would turn sideways, turn almost white, get cleaned and flick his tail to say he's done. My niece made a little "May basket" in school. She would feed the tank, but mostly for Bubba, and asked if she could put his food in it, and I said ok. In about 3 minutes he picked it by the handle and swam off. After that, he's swim back and forth across the length wanting us to feed him !

When we would do a water change, he would lightly,....nip a hair off my arm. He'd also swim by me, then SPIT WATER AT ME. lol !
Now that was fine as a little guy, but at a foot long, he drenched me ! "THANKS BUBBA" !!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%

Back