Is there a fish that eats tube worms ??

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have them tube worms that shoot that silky looking netting onto my coral..makes my tank look like crap..was wondering if theres a fish that will eat them?? maybe some type of wrasse ??

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a pencil wrasse that wiped them out quickly. He jumped out last year though - sad day : (

I would assume that a Copperband Butterfly would go after these too but have no experience with that.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen Peppermint Shrimp eat them, in my Pico tank. I know Copper Banded Butterflyfish will eat feather dusters but IDK about tube worms.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yo homie.. i used a dottyback psuedochromis... i think thats how you spell it.. hes orange with blue striped.. cool looking too.. careful with the copperband.. he eats corals too.. well some do

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this one bro!! you talking about the little white nasty tube worms right?

neons047.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have both in my display and neither of them touch the tube worm fwiw.... the psudeochromis eats bristleworms and other critters and the copper band ate all my feather dusters my aiptasia my clams and now going after my acans.... he's a goner!!!!!!

OP
OP
Emoney

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There 100's of them growing on rock and frag plus..drives me crazy when the get on my z-p's..squrting there silky webs all over everything....take me 4 days to try and slice them open for my fish to eat

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ed. First of all, my apologies, I was mistaking tube worms for feather dusters - just wasn't thinking. Sorry about that. Have not had experience with tube worms. As far as pencil wrasses go, I had mine for over 2 years and he was a model citizen. He was as reef safe as a wrasse could be (but you know not all wrasses have the same temperament).

OP
OP
Emoney

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mike! I might have to pick me up one of those and give it a try...

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First of all they are not tube worms if they put out a web they are a type of snail called vermeted snail.. Not much will eat them and they are a pain and can reach plague levels is a reef aquarium.

Dave Polzin

Last edited by a moderator:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I should have mentioned that shred is correct there snails... When I hear the term tube worm I think feather dusters and this problem is a whole different creature all together.... I would remove the corals from the rock and toss it if it's a huge problem you say there is a bunch.... I have one big one I was just gonna make a kalk paste and fill the tube with it... Should do the trick I just never get around to it.... I'm guessing yours are small since there is a hole bunch????

OP
OP
Emoney

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are small..Ive busted some open and killed them before...Im gonna try that Kalk trick and see what happens...

had no clue they were snails , so thank you for that advice

i think a hammer might work too..but there on many pieces of rock so Kalk might be my best option

Nean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to glue them shut and it worked great for about a week and then they broke out all over the live rock they were on. They were everywhere. Irritating my anemone. I finally had to take the rock out. Vermented snails not feather dusters. That’s a whole other problem.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back