Is there a way to cure Brown Jelly Disease

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
?? Title says it all. Not sure if I should just toss my Duncan Now and save myself A MF headache. I was never able to save a single coral from it. I've tried iodine dips on my other colony of the same size and it was gone in a week or so. May be I was doing something wrong. If anyone has any experience with it please let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated.
IMG_4384.JPG

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I'd add that if you use a soft plastic applicator brush to "remove" the necrosis your chances of survival go up. Think about it as an amputation of sorts to prevent septicemia.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest here, there is no cure for BJD. Lots of people will have things that worked for them and they might work for you but in the end the best method is fragging the healthy parts and toss the infected parts in QT. The two most commonly suggested treatments at peroxide or iodine but there is no guarantee that they will work for you. I'm not trying to be a downer I just want people to understand that BJD does not have a true cure like other diseases do.

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will try to do this and hopefully save the coral.

So here is what I did yesterday: Before taking out the coral, 1) I syphoned out as much of the BJD as possible. 2) I covered the dead tissue with 100% H2O2 for about 30 seconds, it started to fizz and actually made some popping noise. 3) Then I put the coral into 20:1 solution of the peroxide and the tank water for 5 minutes, then I did a rinse with some tank water.

Observation: hydrogen peroxide actually lifted the brown mucus off of the coral itself. the area of the coral covered in peroxide completely wiped out, which is exactly what I wanted. I washed off the skeleton and it had mostly just a bone.
The coral is now opened so the dip did not do too much damage.

Today I will inspect the coral for any further damage, If I see any progression I will try to do the 1) Peroxide dip, 2) Iodine dip and 3) Revive dip method (in sequence). I will also use the brush to scrape the brown jelly, that is a great idea.

I talked to a reefer who successfully beat the BJD on his corals, here is what he had to say.
Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 3.17.00 PM.png

I am not sure about dosing Melafix ( he did not clarify if he dosed it while he was dipping the coral) or if he dosed it inside of his reef.

I will try to keep this post going.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will try to do this and hopefully save the coral.

So here is what I did yesterday: Before taking out the coral, 1) I syphoned out as much of the BJD as possible. 2) I covered the dead tissue with 100% H2O2 for about 30 seconds, it started to fizz and actually made some popping noise. 3) Then I put the coral into 20:1 solution of the peroxide and the tank water for 5 minutes, then I did a rinse with some tank water.

Observation: hydrogen peroxide actually lifted the brown mucus off of the coral itself. the area of the coral covered in peroxide completely wiped out, which is exactly what I wanted. I washed off the skeleton and it had mostly just a bone.
The coral is now opened so the dip did not do too much damage.

Today I will inspect the coral for any further damage, If I see any progression I will try to do the 1) Peroxide dip, 2) Iodine dip and 3) Revive dip method (in sequence). I will also use the brush to scrape the brown jelly, that is a great idea.

I talked to a reefer who successfully beat the BJD on his corals, here is what he had to say.
Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 3.17.00 PM.png

I am not sure about dosing Melafix ( he did not clarify if he dosed it while he was dipping the coral) or if he dosed it inside of his reef.

I will try to keep this post going.

Outside please. Outside. You'll kill off your bacteria bed.

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest here, there is no cure for BJD. Lots of people will have things that worked for them and they might work for you but in the end the best method is fragging the healthy parts and toss the infected parts in QT. The two most commonly suggested treatments at peroxide or iodine but there is no guarantee that they will work for you. I'm not trying to be a downer I just want people to understand that BJD does not have a true cure like other diseases do.
totally agree, but I'll try whatever at this point, I already lost a colony with about 150 heads, so might as well try to fight it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back