Is there a way to nuke a tank of aiptasia?

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I'm officially fed up of these pests (aiptasia). I bought 4 peppermint shrimp (@ $150 each..... yeah that's how much I pay for them here, works out to about $25 USD each) only to have them all disappear within 2 nights, and yeah I searched every crease and crevice. I saw them out and about the first night, the second night only one was out and then boom none to be found!! BTW there wasn't a dent in the aiptasia population within that 2 day period. (maybe the aiptasia ate them instead lol)
I cant get any bergias here unless I travel abroad and bring them back with me which is out of the question right now and Aiptasia x only makes them spread in my opinion... it started out with one frag that had aiptasia on it that I didn't notice until it started to spread and after a few times 'killing them' they only re-appeared in greater numbers, so much so that I now have an epidemic, these things are everywhere, rocks, sand, power heads.... sigh.....

Sorry for the ranting, I just had to vent a little.

So my question is, if I set up a temporary tank to house all my corals which I will have to cut off of the rocks, zoas, inverts, etc. is there a way that I can nuke the tank of them with minimal damage to the beneficial bacteria, etc. in the tank? if not I may not mind just nuking the entire tank and starting over.

I was thinking that copper would be a good nuke but then the copper will be absorbed into the rocks and leech back into the water after right?

At this point I'm open to ideas and suggestions that preferably would keep me from starting over, if not possible I'm not against starting over fresh and be pest free!! I'm just fed up of these things!!!!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad are we talking? You can get a majano wand and zap them.

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its horrible, and the rocks have so many cracks and crevices and holes in it a wand may be impossible to get rid of em all.
in one crevice I counted 15 last night...
they are even in the sand, between the zoas, on the bases of some corals, guess those spots are dead prob killed by the jerks themselves..

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it was [HASHTAG]#twillard[/HASHTAG] that said there is a way to kill them all with temperature, hopefully he'll be able to help.

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there any compatibility issues with the matted filefish? and also is it reef safe?

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it was [HASHTAG]#twillard[/HASHTAG] that said there is a way to kill them all with temperature, hopefully he'll be able to help.

lets hope he pops up in here and gives one of his wonder remedies :)
I've seen some threads with him helping with pests, pretty good advice IMO.

james983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Burgess Butterfly. He's a Aptasia terror. Only good if you just have SPS though
image.jpeg

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes take your livestock out and temporarily house them.
Now get the tank water up to about 92 degrees.
They will start to release and enter the water column looking like jelly fish.
Net them or clean the socks frequently.
Its a spectacular thing and even my zoanthids, goby and shrimp and pods lived through it.
Coral not so much!
This was found by accident as a heater failure went unnoticed till coral death happened.
No need to start over, just make them unhappy and willing to find a new spot :)

chelltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would just take all of the rock out and leave it in the sun for about 2 weeks after pouring boiling water over them in a bucket after a couple of weeks put the rocks back in with 1 live rock soon you will have a tank of live rock again with no aiptasia . DONT USE COPPER

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would just take all of the rock out and leave it in the sun for about 2 weeks after pouring boiling water over them in a bucket after a couple of weeks put the rocks back in with 1 live rock soon you will have a tank of live rock again with no aiptasia .
This kills all life and bacteria on it.
IMO this is last resort

chelltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed but aiptasia can be ruthless I got lucky I only had a few small ones and bought some peps and they tore it up in no time haven't seen any since. Fingers crossed

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there any compatibility issues with the matted filefish? and also is it reef safe?
nope, mine stays to himself until dinner time. Then he is all over the mysis shrimp. They are a pretty cool looking fish and almost look like a trigger fish with out the issues of eating everything in sight

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ship me some!
I have proven myself now more than once heat is the key!
Now for only 1 it would be superglue :)
"Poor guy"

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back