Is there a way to nuke a tank of aiptasia?

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my tan
are there any compatibility issues with the matted filefish? and also is it reef safe?
They keep to themselves, I have never had a compatibility issue with other fish. Reef safe long term is fine with sps, a mixed reef, you might run into some nipping issues once they have gone through the anemones. However it will vary with different corals. The positive thing, is that they are one of the most clumsy reef inhabitant I have ever had...haha, so if you need to catch him out of your system eventually, it will be super easy. You should have no problems getting him the first try with a little bit of food or alage.

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull a couple rock out and put in a bucket. Using saltwater from a water change. Use pickling lime make a paste and inject them. Put back in the bucket with a heater and power head. wait for 24 hours, check next day for any you miss. If there is none but back in tank. You will not kill all the bacteria on your rock. I did this to one of my tank that got real bad. I would as so inject some in the tank at the same time I removed rocks. Leave the rocks that just had a couple on it and inject in tank. Don't do to much in the Dt at one time. It took me about 3 weeks. Once you get rid of them and you see one inject it. People will say they will spread when you inject it. IDK but this worked for me.

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add 1 copper band butterfly fish and your apTania will be gone in less than a week, no matter how bad the outbreak. I had the same issue as you once. I use Aptasia X when I notice a few and it's pretty effective but u have to make sure you cover the whOle aptasia mouth or it won't kill them completely and they will come back on you. The problem is they hide in the back where you don't see them, and with peppermint shrimp I notice they only go after the smaller ones and leave the big ones alone. I have borrowed copper bands to eliminate the aptasia for a couple weeks then give it back to the fish store (I buy it, use it, then give it back. It's worth the 24.99 price tag all day long) the copper band is a very sensitive fish and hard to keep for extended periods of time for most of us (I have had 5 of them and 1 lasted for about 8 months. Other ones died off shortly after depleting all the aptasia). That why I just buy 1, let it do its thing , then donate back to the store). And absolutely DO NOT use copper on anything that is evEr going to end up in your main tank unless it's just a fish (if you have rocks in your quarantine tank and ever use copper, plan on never putting those rocks in your main tank, even if you treat it...not worth the risk). Also I tried peppermint shrimps twice now and they either not interested or there other things In my tank they like better because never seen them even touch a single aptasia

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried that Majano Wand that thing looks like some fun
Yes, I've used it and it works well for me. I know other people that have used it and have had good results as well. I have a good friend who owns an lfs and does tank maintainance and uses it on his customers tanks.
I believe Paul B. originally invented the majano wand and made several different versions before getting a patent on his. He made some for people as well before he got the patent. I know there were threads on another site about it.
Anyways, it works by causing the water in the tissue of the aiptasia to turn into hydrogen. People have used them on mushrooms and other soft corals as well.
There are tons of videos and documents for diy versions on the Internet and YouTube that show how to build one out of simple and inexpensive materials from a hardware store.
I've used the majano wand in combo with aiptasia x, kalk paste and peppermint shrimp with success. The majano wand can reach into places that normally can not be with the tip of the wand, nooks and crannies.
I've tried a laser as well several times but do not recommend from my own personal experience. The laser works to a degree but it was not as effective ( nor safe ) as the other options.

steiger33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've used it and it works well for me. I know other people that have used it and have had good results as well. I have a good friend who owns an lfs and does tank maintainance and uses it on his customers tanks.
I believe Paul B. originally invented the majano wand and made several different versions before getting a patent on his. He made some for people as well before he got the patent. I know there were threads on another site about it.
Anyways, it works by causing the water in the tissue of the aiptasia to turn into hydrogen. People have used them on mushrooms and other soft corals as well.
There are tons of videos and documents for diy versions on the Internet and YouTube that show how to build one out of simple and inexpensive materials from a hardware store.
I've used the majano wand in combo with aiptasia x, kalk paste and peppermint shrimp with success. The majano wand can reach into places that normally can not be with the tip of the wand, nooks and crannies.
I've tried a laser as well several times but do not recommend from my own personal experience. The laser works to a degree but it was not as effective ( nor safe ) as the other options.
Hank out for the reply I might have to pick one up just to have on hand

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the majano wand, it works but you constantly have to zap them, I thought it was a one time zap them and forget them kind of deal.
I also tried the matted filefish. It was doing good for 2 days, it was eating the aptasia...then it got a taste for my zoa, sunny d - rasta - aog, etc... Now that filefish doesn't bother with those pest. It's readily eating pellets and frozen food.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add 1 copper band butterfly fish and your apTania will be gone in less than a week, no matter how bad the outbreak. I had the same issue as you once. I use Aptasia X when I notice a few and it's pretty effective but u have to make sure you cover the whOle aptasia mouth or it won't kill them completely and they will come back on you. The problem is they hide in the back where you don't see them, and with peppermint shrimp I notice they only go after the smaller ones and leave the big ones alone. I have borrowed copper bands to eliminate the aptasia for a couple weeks then give it back to the fish store (I buy it, use it, then give it back. It's worth the 24.99 price tag all day long) the copper band is a very sensitive fish and hard to keep for extended periods of time for most of us (I have had 5 of them and 1 lasted for about 8 months. Other ones died off shortly after depleting all the aptasia). That why I just buy 1, let it do its thing , then donate back to the store). And absolutely DO NOT use copper on anything that is evEr going to end up in your main tank unless it's just a fish (if you have rocks in your quarantine tank and ever use copper, plan on never putting those rocks in your main tank, even if you treat it...not worth the risk). Also I tried peppermint shrimps twice now and they either not interested or there other things In my tank they like better because never seen them even touch a single aptasia

My CBB has been in display for three weeks now and has yet to touch the aiptasia. I guess he missed the aiptasia eating class in his school.

Last edited:

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CBB has been in display for three weeks now and has to touch the aiptasia. I guess he missed the aiptasia eating class in his school.
I've heard of that too. I haveven had success with all my copper bands eating aptasia but some of them developed a taste for acans as well. I've heard some people tell me to take a piece of rock with aptasia on it to the fish store and put it in the peppermint shrimp tank (if they allow it) and whichever shrimps go to the rock and eat the aptasia buy. I never tried that but on of the lfs in my area says he puts aptasia in his peppermint shrimp tank for the specific purpose or training them to eat aptasia. Not sure if it works or not. Good luck for sure

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of that too. I haveven had success with all my copper bands eating aptasia but some of them developed a taste for acans as well. I've heard some people tell me to take a piece of rock with aptasia on it to the fish store and put it in the peppermint shrimp tank (if they allow it) and whichever shrimps go to the rock and eat the aptasia buy. I never tried that but on of the lfs in my area says he puts aptasia in his peppermint shrimp tank for the specific purpose or training them to eat aptasia. Not sure if it works or not. Good luck for sure

Great idea, assuming my LFS would allow it. The peps I bought from them didn't touch the aiptasia either! I think I'm moving on to the berghias.

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock Sterilisation (which has been suggested) isn't effective, unless you sterilize the whole tank. Aiptasia can stick to pipes and even places without light. Also, as soo as you bug them they will release gametes in the water column.

Peppermints will not go for Aiptasia as a primary source of food and I get better results when I starve the tank, for a 3-5 days. Fishes will be fine.
Not all Peppermints go for aiptasia, there is a particular species, which I can't recall the scientific name. They also won't go for large one, so you still have to kill those by hand.

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lysmata wurdemanni is the scientific name for the specific peppermint recommended for aiptasia.
Lysmata rathbunae look very similar. There are very minor differences between the 2 which can make it difficult to tell if you are getting the specific ones for aiptasia control.
I agree, peppermints are hit or miss.

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes take your livestock out and temporarily house them.
Now get the tank water up to about 92 degrees.
They will start to release and enter the water column looking like jelly fish.
Net them or clean the socks frequently.
Its a spectacular thing and even my zoanthids, goby and shrimp and pods lived through it.
Coral not so much!
This was found by accident as a heater failure went unnoticed till coral death happened.
No need to start over, just make them unhappy and willing to find a new spot :)

This is definitely worth a try this once I can get all of my livestock and corals out safely. I was looking at the corals last night and they are well encrusted so taking them out may cause some damage, may have to re consider nuking the whole tank for now unfortunately

Most the pests I raise are killed by accident :(
lol.
I would have gladly shipped a few hundred to you if I weren't so far away lol.

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all of the replies, I really appreciate it guys.
I will definitely look into seeing if my LFS can get any of those fish for me, if not I guess I will have to kill them with aptasia x or something of the sort until I can get me some bergias.
I was looking at my tank last night and its coming along so nicely except for those little buggers that I felt bad to break it up to do a nuke so I will look into other options for now :)

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium Hydroxide(lye) kills them better than any commercial products available. You can get 100% Sodium Hydroxide from your local hardware store. You have to be care were you use it because it will kill corals that are in close proximity of the aiptasia. Here is an article you can read for further information: http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/aiptasia_control.html

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so last night I decided to take another look for my 4 peppermint shrimp and bam all 4 in a corner in the return section of my sump, they passed the first section with bubble guard black foam between the baffles, passed my filter floss and passed another set of baffles with bubble guard foam..... how is beyond me lol.
I guess as much as I found them I will give them a chance to see if they help with my plague :)

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats why I love to work with aiptasia they are a creature of their own.
Too bad I killed them all :(
I even go to stores looking for them and flatworm.
What happened petco you quite carrying them!
Saddens me :(

You want some white flatworms? I got lots of tiny ones from rock phos leeching. It's down to .1ppm now with GFO but there's enough of them near the bottom to probably snag some with a baster to re-establish them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back