Is there a way to nuke a tank of aiptasia?

Ghidellas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have had awesome success with a syringe full of vinegar and just injecting them in the mouth. I killed maybe 3 or 4 a day. After the 3rd day I just kept a full syringe under my cabinet so I can easily pull it out if I saw any. After zapping a few more I have not seen one in just about a month. Room temperature white vinegar in a needle.

skrivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a not-so-bad outbreak, but it was enough that I took action. I tried the shrimp. They (not aptasia) gone in a day. then I dropped $350 on the bergia. Nothing and the bergia are unseen after 3 days (supposed to do the job in 6 months). Then I got a copper banded butterfly. It didn't make it out of my QT because I couldn't get it to eat. I put boiling water into a syringe and targeted it at the aptasia, but I could only get the ones I could, well, get at. Same with that chemical aptasia killer (which does work, but killed nearby zoas, too). Then I got a fish called "Aptasia eating filefish". I rarely see any in there now and I would say none at all if I didn't want to jinx it. The filefish was cheap, took to the aquarium rapidly and continues to eat well on the regular food I feed the whole tank. I highly recommend this remedy. Its entirely possible the bergia are still in there, but I would think I'd see some evidence. I think its the filefish. He's ugly, but still really kind of cool.

dave decarli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I'm officially fed up of these pests (aiptasia). I bought 4 peppermint shrimp (@ $150 each..... yeah that's how much I pay for them here, works out to about $25 USD each) only to have them all disappear within 2 nights, and yeah I searched every crease and crevice. I saw them out and about the first night, the second night only one was out and then boom none to be found!! BTW there wasn't a dent in the aiptasia population within that 2 day period. (maybe the aiptasia ate them instead lol)
I cant get any bergias here unless I travel abroad and bring them back with me which is out of the question right now and Aiptasia x only makes them spread in my opinion... it started out with one frag that had aiptasia on it that I didn't notice until it started to spread and after a few times 'killing them' they only re-appeared in greater numbers, so much so that I now have an epidemic, these things are everywhere, rocks, sand, power heads.... sigh.....

Sorry for the ranting, I just had to vent a little.

So my question is, if I set up a temporary tank to house all my corals which I will have to cut off of the rocks, zoas, inverts, etc. is there a way that I can nuke the tank of them with minimal damage to the beneficial bacteria, etc. in the tank? if not I may not mind just nuking the entire tank and starting over.

I was thinking that copper would be a good nuke but then the copper will be absorbed into the rocks and leech back into the water after right?

At this point I'm open to ideas and suggestions that preferably would keep me from starting over, if not possible I'm not against starting over fresh and be pest free!! I'm just fed up of these things!!!!
Has anyone tried that Majano Wand that thing looks like some fun
BERGIA NUDIBRANCH. they only eat them guaranteed to eat them and when they are gone they disappear. good luck friend

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper banded butterfly! Love mine. No aptasia in any tank. I move him around to ensure populations stay minimal.

Make sure you get one that eats frozen prep.

zwulfke

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pen laser is fun but not effective I need a resolution for my nano its out of control

I got a 1.5w blue laser and it's all day long I am zapping them and they come back

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CBB has been in display for three weeks now and has yet to touch the aiptasia. I guess he missed the aiptasia eating class in his school.
It will in time. How much do you feed? I reduced feeding to entice mine.

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would absolutely love to have a new species of flatworm!!
Shoot me a PM :)
image.jpeg

Teaser...

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matted file fish!!! They are awesome, takes them about two weeks to settle in, and bam!

Filefish work great, although you might have to move them along after the aiptasia are gone or they will start going after other stuff. Our local club has a filefish that is part of our pay-it-forward DBTC (Don't Break The Chain) program: "borrow" the filefish to eat your aiptasia on the condition that when they are gone you pass it along to someone else who needs aiptasia control: http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?30160-Dbtc-aptasia-eating-file-fish

bogliman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try a high powered laser. you tube it regarding how to kill aptasia and majano or killing aptasia with laser.

definitionofreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried everything as well. The only way to rid them permanently is to take a rock or two out at a time and let it dry. Then cook them in a bucket of cycled water for another couple of weeks before switching them out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My shrimp got stung by them, matted file ate my polyps and so as. Lemon juice via syringe not bad but my aphasia wands zaps and destroys them on Contact!

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried everything as well. The only way to rid them permanently is to take a rock or two out at a time and let it dry. Then cook them in a bucket of cycled water for another couple of weeks before switching them out.

Be careful cooking them, you must do this in a well ventilated area. People have been known to get VERY sick if the fumes they produce are inhaled.

I mean cooking by boiling. Never do that indoors! With ANY coral species especially Paly/Zoa and actiniaria. (I think I spelled that right). The potential health risks are not worth it.

Is this a long established tank? How long has it been up and running

Also... How large are the Aptasia? That makes a difference in your options.

icemanalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling the aiptasia anemones for years, and I do mean battle. Tore my tank down two different times to try and kill these pests off with no luck. Did the peppermint shrimp and berghia thing to no avail, then I bought a matted filefish this little guy is my HERO after just one month I have no repeat that NO aiptasia at all, this dude did what four years of battling and trying everything to defeat them. Hallalluha Hallalluah the wicked things are dead. Matted Filefish the only way to go

huskerreefatl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious, did you guys try Joe's Juice? I used it twice and have not seen aiptasia since. Squirt it into the mouth with a syringe and next day. ...gone but no one had mentioned it in this thread except me so that makes me wonder why?

icemanalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my tank one year ago was very disgusted with the hole thing you can tell by the state of it.
my tank.jpg

icemanalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see by the above picture the aiptasia were taking over

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back