Is there any tang small enough for a 54 gallon DT?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife keeps on bugging me to add a tang and I have told her that my Reefer 250’s 54 gallon DT is too small. I think she fell in love with Bubbles in Finding Nemo, is there any tang that is workable or should I just hang a photo of Bubbles next to the tank? ;)

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife keeps on bugging me to add a tang and I have told her that my Reefer 250’s 54 gallon DT is too small. I think she fell in love with Bubbles in Finding Nemo, is there any tang that is workable or should I just hang a photo of Bubbles next to the tank? ;)
Sorry to tell you this, I think your tank would be too small, however, on the plus side, you can always get a larger tank for her & tell her it’s for the tang That’s how you get another tank in the tank & she’s ok with it, trust me, it’ll work

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to tell you this, I think your tank would be too small, however, on the plus side, you can always get a larger tank for her & tell her it’s for the tang That’s how you get another tank in the tank & she’s ok with it, trust me, it’ll work

I am lucky I convinced her to this one this large. If it was up to her it would be a Nano! :(

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might get ripped for this but a bristletooth tang would be ok in there. Even a single yellow tang would be fine.
A tomini maybe but no way on the Yellow. WAY too aggressive. Had to boot one from my 90 gallon.

Mozby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically no, but people have put a tang in their reefer 250 and have been fine. Agree with the comments that a bristletooth would probably be best. A yellow tang can work but you might want to put it in last perhaps.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that angelfish were aggressive and also ate coral.

An angel will definitely be less aggressive than a tang, and they are hit or miss with coral. They might pick here and there but it is uncommon for them to completely destroy things. I would say a majority of people keep them without issue.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An angel will definitely be less aggressive than a tang, and they are hit or miss with coral. They might pick here and there but it is uncommon for them to completely destroy things. I would say a majority of people keep them without issue.

Is there the best of both worlds, not too aggressive and not a threat to the coral?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there the best of both worlds, not too aggressive and not a threat to the coral?
A coral beauty is a good choice. Amazing colors and personality. They are like dory's song just keep on swimming. They never stop.
Mine has been in my tank for 5yrs never messed with a coral. It was even in the tank before corals where added. I would post a pic but its impossible to get a pic of.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angels are usually ok. You want one of the dwarfs, Potters, Coral Beauty, maybe an Eibli. Eibli’s are more hit and miss on munching coral though.
Flames can become very mean. Out of all the angels these guys are they most aggressive angel. But they are gorgeous.

If you want to throw your wife a curve ball a yellow angel. You could call it a tang hybrid.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back