Is there any tang small enough for a 54 gallon DT?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flames can become very mean. Out of all the angels these guys are they most aggressive angel. But they are gorgeous.

If you want to throw your wife a curve ball a yellow angel. You could call it a tang hybrid.

Agreed. @ the OP, I have had both the Flame Angel and the Coral Beauty and the Flame was a complete butthead. My current Coral Beauty has been a near model citizen. He takes the occasional exploratory nip at my Green Hammer but nothing that really hurts the coral in the long run and when he does get a tiny piece of polyp he spits it back out (clearly doesn't like the taste). I've had mine for just over a year now. My Flame Angel on the other hand took repeated nips at my frogspawn and hammer corals and that was the final straw for me. All Dwarf Angels and Pygmy Angels are a gamble but the better behaved ones (in terms of Coral Nipping tendencies) tend to be:

Coral Beauty
Flame
Potter's
Cherubfish (this guy is actually a pygmy angel and might be the best choice for your tank)

The one's to avoid for coral nipping as they have a much higher liklihood

Eibli (aka Red Striped)
Half Black
Lemon Peel
Bicolor

With any dwarf or pygmy angel it helps to have a well established tank with algae growing and daily seaweed/nori feedings. Not a guarantee but it will increase the odds that your dwarf or pygmy will behave itself with coral.

As for the Tangs, there are some instances of some of them going after some corals so don't think they are a 100% safe bet either.

Here is an overview of my Coral Beauty:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. @ the OP, I have had both the Flame Angel and the Coral Beauty and the Flame was a complete butthead. My current Coral Beauty has been a near model citizen. He takes the occasional exploratory nip at my Green Hammer but nothing that really hurts the coral in the long run and when he does get a tiny piece of polyp he spits it back out (clearly doesn't like the taste). I've had mine for just over a year now. My Flame Angel on the other hand took repeated nips at my frogspawn and hammer corals and that was the final straw for me. All Dwarf Angels are a gamble but the better behaved ones tend to be:.

My condo has a lobby tank and their flame angel is pretty aggressive. I would definitely stay away from getting one and now I am focusing on the Coral Beauty as an option.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm gonna get arrested by the Tang police...we are working on a 60g now. I think both of ours is too small for a Tang, but if the right situation arose...I mean short term housing only. Several folks on here have done it. Please let me emphasize short term.

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't put any tang in a tank that small, but if you are determined to do it, a bristle tooth tang is your best bet. just be ready to rehome it in the future

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My condo has a lobby tank and their flame angel is pretty aggressive. I would definitely stay away from getting one and now I am focusing on the Coral Beauty as an option.

I don't know if it's the Dwarf Angel that is most removed for aggression (the Flame Angel), but it's definitely in the top 3. There are examples of Coral Beauties being aggressive but the odds are definitely in favor of them being good tank mates. Oh and FYI if you do go wild caught, try and source one from Fiji (tend to be more colorful and they use better collection methods) and if you are willing to be patient and pony up for a captive bred one from Biota that is also a great choice.

Last edited:

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go for a standard (small) YT. I have one in my RS-250 for the last 2+ years now, I feed frozen daily and he's been a model citizen. Now, when he gets too big this tank simply won't do. "Honey, the Tang is getting too big for this tank, what should we do? Oh... you think 300 Gallons is big enough?"

-Tom

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to tell you this, I think your tank would be too small, however, on the plus side, you can always get a larger tank for her & tell her it’s for the tang That’s how you get another tank in the tank & she’s ok with it, trust me, it’ll work

Ha! great suggestion.

Res_Ipsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to plan for a bristletooth in my 60g (36" x 20") as well and it seems a kole tang, tomni tang, and a juvenile yellow tang are about the best options there are even though many will say it is still too small.

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A coral beauty is a good choice. Amazing colors and personality. They are like dory's song just keep on swimming. They never stop.
Mine has been in my tank for 5yrs never messed with a coral. It was even in the tank before corals where added. I would post a pic but its impossible to get a pic of.
I'll second this, I've had multiple coral beauties with different tanks in the past and they are one of my favorite fish. Never had any issues with corals or aggression.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to plan for a bristletooth in my 60g (36" x 20") as well and it seems a kole tang, tomni tang, and a juvenile yellow tang are about the best options there are even though many will say it is still too small.

To small for the Yellow, but a Tomini might work.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 54 gallon, definitely not. I'm pushing it as is with a One Spot in my 90 gallon.
Agree I had to get rid of mine in a 75. All j read was that it would work for a 75. 125 is the smallest I would put a black spot foxface

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say no, I've tried a few times in my 46, getting as small juvenile and thinking I'd trade em when they got bigger. None survived.

ot7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think tank size limits for a fish is just a western thing lol. I saw this Japanese tank that was probably 60 gallons with 3 box fishes and one of the box fishes was probably 5 inches from its full size. it was crazy. everyone I noticed commenting was Japanese and they were all just saying things like cool or so big, nobody seemed to be reprimanding them. The box fishes weren't the only fish in there, I think there were 4 other fishes in there.

But I think I'll stick to following the tank size recommendations we use here lol. As for your question, I think you should be ok with one yellow tang? If its the only "big" fish you plan to keep. I'd probably also suggest getting them small, less than 5 inches. I think its easier for all the fish that way.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think tank size limits for a fish is just a western thing lol. I saw this Japanese tank that was probably 60 gallons with 3 box fishes and one of the box fishes was probably 5 inches from its full size. it was crazy. everyone I noticed commenting was Japanese and they were all just saying things like cool or so big, nobody seemed to be reprimanding them. The box fishes weren't the only fish in there, I think there were 4 other fishes in there.

But I think I'll stick to following the tank size recommendations we use here lol. As for your question, I think you should be ok with one yellow tang? If its the only "big" fish you plan to keep. I'd probably also suggest getting them small, less than 5 inches. I think its easier for all the fish that way.

True, but you are also talking about a country known for whale hunting and shark finning.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's tough to determine minimum tank requirements. Those things vary, and more and more, I think the tank size is only one variable to consider and may not be as big of a factor as some people think. However, in any case, adding a tang to a 54g would definitely be pushing the limits and IF you do it, IMO it would have to be something done as a trial to see if it would work in your particular case and you would need to be ok with rehoming the fish when it outgrows your tank (and be willing to actually do that).

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back