Is this a baby jellyfish?

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning my tank today and saw a small split pea size clear tepee like organism handing on my glass. Then it started to swim by pulsating… like a jellyfish. Just pulled 3 out of my tank. Picture and video attached.
Added some new corals in early December… did “dip it” on all corals. Seems like something came in as a egg…..

Attachments

• IMG_6710.MOV
    1.7 MB
  • IMG_6733.MOV
    3.1 MB

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks alot like a very small moon jelly that's amazing. Although it likely wont last long it'll end up in the nearest powerhead or down the overflow or into a filter.. Etc

Pic off google for comparison

Moon-Jellyfish-Images.jpg

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I have done more research, thinking they may be rainbow anenome planula. I’m reading the anenome can reproduce asexually through splitting or by sperm and egg.
Thinking I will create a separate little tank for these 4 ( found yet another )
They went crazy when I fed them some reef roids. Before I knew they were in the tank one stung my finger… it has blown up twice it’s size. Going to figure out to do for the swelling and pain now.

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet there’s more… found 5-6 more but they are a little further along in development. They are tucked under one of my frag racks. They have a base and the beginning of a head with fine tentacles. Looks like I am a proud mama of a field of rainbow baby anemones. I will let you know how they progress.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet there’s more… found 5-6 more but they are a little further along in development. They are tucked under one of my frag racks. They have a base and the beginning of a head with fine tentacles. Looks like I am a proud mama of a field of rainbow baby anemones. I will let you know how they progress.

Could you share either a link to the animal you think that this is or the scientific name? I'm confused about which organism you're talking about.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some picks and maybe a you tube video. I can’t access your earlier attachments.

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- so I know have 25-30 baby planula in the hospital tank and find 2-3 every couple days. Some seem to die off, new ones are added. Having spent a night in the ER with my finger my hands haven’t been in my tank in 5 weeks ( it needs a bit of work) but I can’t risk another sting. Not doing water changes as I don’t want to siphon off and get stung. Balancing with products.
fish are doing awesome, corals are doing great. I just know I have to wait out this odd egg/ planula cycle that is taking place. You would think after 5 weeks this would end. For those that wanted me to repost video it is attached but you need to view on desktop. Seems they don’t play on phones.
i have been feeding them phytoplankton. I don’t see any attached to the rubble but it is hard to tell since they are clear. As they mature they do get a black dot in the center of the clear hood.

Attachments

• IMG_6709.MOV
    1.1 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also- since I haven’t been in my tank ther is an odd clear/ threadlike sponge with tubelike aspect I noticed under my elegance coral and also between one of my large rocks and the back wall. Is this an issue? Feel like it’s spreading in a few places. It is at the base of where the tissue of the elegance meets the skeleton. Assuming not good.
I do don’t want to have to siphon now or remove stuff with the stinging potential.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any others here able to view the posted videos?

I thought direct uploads didn’t work. I have to upload videos to YouTube or another trusted source and share video links that way.

OP can you do that? I want to see!

PS. I hope your hand is doing better.

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I have done more research, thinking they may be rainbow anenome planula. I’m reading the anenome can reproduce asexually through splitting or by sperm and egg.
Thinking I will create a separate little tank for these 4 ( found yet another )
They went crazy when I fed them some reef roids. Before I knew they were in the tank one stung my finger… it has blown up twice it’s size. Going to figure out to do for the swelling and pain now.
Finger is now better, but it was swollen for 3 weeks!!!

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any others here able to view the posted videos?

I thought direct uploads didn’t work. I have to upload videos to YouTube or another trusted source and share video links that way.

OP can you do that? I want to see!

PS. I hope your hand is doing better.
Finger is finally better but took three weeks to gain full movement and be able to flex and close fully!

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finger is finally better but took three weeks to gain full movement and be able to flex and close fully!
Other folks could view them. I can’t see them on my phone, but I can see them on my laptop?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this has to be one of the most interesting and extremely annoying pests I've heard of in a reef tank.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other folks could view them. I can’t see them on my phone, but I can see them on my laptop?
Well, how about that? I tried on my desktop and sure enough, it worked. I have to download it and play it rather than stream it directly, but it worked.

I guess I use Reef2Reef more on my mobile devices than I thought (iPad/phone)!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back