Is this a good fish room plan?

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the plan, I am mostly looking for feedback on this structure for the fish room itself, but feel free to tell me how insane I am, or you know, if you just have some tips for me ;) I'd appreciate that as well.

For context;
1 x 200G peninusla DT (on the other side of the wall just behind this structure)
1 x 50G lagoon DT (to the left of the structure)

On this stand:
40G breeder LR/frag
geosreef 46 x 15 x 15 sump
3 x Neptune DOS
2 x Neptune DDR
2 x Neptune power bars
Apex
powerhead controllers
50W UV

I am planning on cutting out a hole in wall separating fish room (laundry) and DT (in the dining room). The entire overflow side of main DT is 30 x 21 + canopy (haven't designed yet, probably 30 x 16) = 30 x 37. I really want complete access to the overflow side with several inches above the overflow itself which is flush with the top of the tank. I will probably leave about 1/2 in on either side, so the hole won't be noticeable from the DT side. I'll also have to cut out the floor molding where the DT is so it sits flush with the wall. That hole will be above the left side of the sump stand in the picture:

1609640190031.png

This whole thing fits just into a space between some built in cabinets and the outside wall, and flush with the built-ins.

The left platform is for the sump which has the drain intakes on the left, the right platform is big enough for a 40G breeder I can fill with LR with 4 in to spare under the shelf.

The entire structure is 1515 except for the shelf which is 1020 because the slots on the face of the shelf line up with the smaller neptune module mounting brackets exactly. I've checked and it seems like the 10-32 mounting hardware fits the neptune mounting holes perfectly.

The shelf will hold 2 x Neptune DDR and Trident
The shelf face will hold Neptune modules
The cross beam just above the shelf will mount the Apex, 1 x DOS for AWC, and 2 x DOS for the DDR's.
The back of the cross beam will be for ecotech battery and power supplies for the powerheads
The very top cross beam will be for mounting the neptune power bars, ecotech powerhead controllers, and whatever else I've forgotten :p

For cable management, I will simply cut holes in the panels and push the excess thru, using velcro to loop up the excess just so it won't touch the floor. I don't care about attaching them to anything as long as I can't see the mess and it won't cause a fire.

The entire structure is about 4 in off the wall (red line) to leave room for cables, and 2 in off the left wall to leave room for the plumbing coming thru the side of the built in cabinets from the 50G.

I'm thinking the 2 x cor20 return pumps will converge into a manifold, one outlet of which will go to the right behind the back the of the structure and I can drill a hole in the slot panel for it to return to the LR 40G breeder, then drill the left side of the 40G for an overflow back into the sump into the refugium is on the right side of the sump. Another manifold outlet will go to a 50W UV sterilizer, the outlet of that going directly back thru the hole and into the 200G peninsula, bypassing the built-in returns. Then probably 3 more manifold outlets for reactors in the future.

The manufacturer of the sump said they would contact me for questions when they are ready to start building, so I'll ask them then if I can have more drain outlets into the left of the sump, but if not, I think I will combine the main drain from 200G DT with the secondary drain from the 50G DT, and vice versa.

Plumbing for the 200G will come from the red line direction, the 50G is to the left (over the blue line) thru some cabinets and another wall.

There is already a 15A circuit right where the hole will be, so I'll move that and I'm putting in 2 x 20A circuits, all GFCI.

I'm not really too concerned with mounting a computer monitor above the hole for the apex, but I certainly have the spare computer hardware lying around if I really wanted to, but I think I'll just use my phone and office PC unless anyone has some really compelling argument to do it.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice well thought out idea

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back