Is this a hairy gorilla crab?

PolypPocket

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 25, 2026
Messages
557
Reaction score
688
Location
Minnesota
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I already know but want to be sure since I’m new to reefs. It’s absolutely tiny, maybe 1/4-1/2” long and hides in this hole. I got the rock from TBS. Sorry for the poor quality photos and video but it’s tiny and my phone sucks.

Looks hairy and has black claws so…




20260725_180046_B11B8191-FF37-4E4E-8C55-51E0B52DE4C1.png


20260725_180046_3837C83E-5AAB-493F-BD9D-2448311CB58C.png


20260725_180046_130A4B8B-D801-4AA4-8DC4-7963135FAE4F.png


20260725_180046_E396B950-56C2-4C52-82B3-E79DF13E7B7B.png


20260725_180046_15FD3CB7-8D05-454B-BE46-561C0B9DFF17.png
 
Black tips on the claws usually means bad guy. What about the critter above his head? Is that a work or a brittle starfish leg?
 
I would catch it asap. Not hard to catch use the bottle trick. Another way is wait till night. It will come out of his hiding spot. They fast though
 
Here’s the one I found in TBS live rock. I grabbed it with forceps, it now resides in my sump living the life!
IMG_2064.jpeg

Yeah I don’t want to kill it but it’s a pico tank without a sump so I’m thinking of setting up a small tank just for him (and whatever other undesirable things I eventually find)

Yours is really cute btw
 
I would catch it asap. Not hard to catch use the bottle trick. Another way is wait till night. It will come out of his hiding spot. They fast though
So I set up a cup or bottle at an angle and put a smelly piece of food at the bottom right?
 
Yeah I don’t want to kill it but it’s a pico tank without a sump so I’m thinking of setting up a small tank just for him (and whatever other undesirable things I eventually find)

Yours is really cute btw
I caught a stone crab as well using the bottle trick, different part of the sump. Man it is growing quick, I’ll be melting butter soon.
IMG_2017.jpeg
 
Yeah I don’t want to kill it but it’s a pico tank without a sump so I’m thinking of setting up a small tank just for him (and whatever other undesirable things I eventually find)

Yours is really cute btw
I caught a stone crab as well using the bottle trick, different part of the sump. Man it is growing quick, I’ll be melting butter soon.
IMG_2017.jpeg
👩‍🍳 🦀
 
Had a massive stone crab reak havoc all over my sump. Crushing probes and eating tubing. I was feeding it a whole silverside a day and it still went crazy. He’s at my LFS now and they love him, he’s become their pet lol
IMG_4351.jpeg
IMG_4350.jpeg
IMG_4346.jpeg
 
Had a massive stone crab reak havoc all over my sump. Crushing probes and eating tubing. I was feeding it a whole silverside a day and it still went crazy. He’s at my LFS now and they love him, he’s become their pet lol
IMG_4351.jpeg
IMG_4350.jpeg
IMG_4346.jpeg
Aw that’s awesome that they took him in as a pet
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new