Is this a head injury or infectious disease on my Royal Gramma

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this royal gramma in my quarantine tank for about 2 weeks under observation. I started noticing these discolorations on its head a few days. Can anyone ID if this is a treatable disease? At first I thought it was just scrapes from hiding among the decorations. It is the only fish in the tank. It’s swimming and eating well.

0628475F-BE9A-43B7-B12B-5E15F0E86C55.jpeg 0F819E0F-1AE3-42C8-B586-0B82C058CA29.jpeg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this royal gramma in my quarantine tank for about 2 weeks under observation. I started noticing these discolorations on its head a few days. Can anyone ID if this is a treatable disease? At first I thought it was just scrapes from hiding among the decorations. It is the only fish in the tank. It’s swimming and eating well.

0628475F-BE9A-43B7-B12B-5E15F0E86C55.jpeg 0F819E0F-1AE3-42C8-B586-0B82C058CA29.jpeg
Looks diseased. Clamped fins. Feel like I see some white spots on the tail. How is its breathing?

OP
OP
T

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing seems normal, not super fast at least. I don’t have experience with a gramma before though.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could possibly be the beginning of brook. I have seen this before on gramas.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been doing observation only, or have you been treating prophylactically with anything? Can you post your water parameters, especially ammonia. Diffuse white patches, 2 to 4 weeks after acquisition are often a sign of flukes. The clamped fins but still eating well also point to that.
Jay

OP
OP
T

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just been in observation with this fish. The qt tank has been up several months with a few other fish going through it. I’ve got zero ammonia on API kit and the ammonia badge is still non-responsive. Salinity is 1.026

I’ve got general cure (with focus) and copper to use. Should I start general cure with food?

I don’t have formalin for a bath but could try to get today.

OP
OP
T

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could possibly be the beginning of brook. I have seen this before on gramas.

Reading up on brook treatments it mentions to put fish in sterile QT tank after a formalin bath. Is there a best way to sterilize my QT tank in that short time period? I’ve been doing a light bleach bath and longer than 3 days air bath to sterilize the tank when I’ve had it out of commission for longer time periods. I could grab a second tank if needed but would rather not.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO- if this was any protozoan infection, the fish would stop eating and be breathing fast.
It always makes me very nervous to leave a fish like this in observational quarantine for beyond the 72 hours I wait when fish first arrive - I begin treatments right after that. What about General cure in the water? It has prazi for flukes and metronidazole in case I’m wrong about the protozoans and.
Jay

OP
OP
T

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea, General Cure does mention in the water treatment options.

I haven’t found a supplier of the 37% formalin solutions yet, hoping some of the local fish stores might have something when they open.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Give it a freshwater bath and then daily dips in formalin using either ruby rally pro or general cure

OP
OP
T

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a video of the this. Still active and eating. Heading to the LFS in a bit to see what they have for dip options.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    8.4 MB

OneSlyFox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a video of the this. Still active and eating. Heading to the LFS in a bit to see what they have for dip options.

How's it going now The Coug? I've got a royal gramma that I've had for several months now with these patches, but she's only recently gone downhill.

OP
OP
T

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it going now The Coug? I've got a royal gramma that I've had for several months now with these patches, but she's only recently gone downhill.
Hi! I ended up treating her with General Cure (mixed with Focus). She kept spitting out the food though so I ended up doing the whole packet systemic water treatment (followed pkg recs). The patches cleared up within a couple days. So, I think it was some sort of parasitic infection. I’ve still got it in the QT tank, I think I’m gonna wait another 4-6 weeks and may do another round of treatment before I move her to the display.

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with all diseases, they are generally allowed to occur by stress, as a fish weakens...

Maybe increase feeding, vary the foods, or a higher quality feed. A flake with garlic is good at boosting immune systems, like ocean nutrition formula two flakes, fed alongside normal frozen preps. Is he getting pushed around at all? I also assume you run lights on a timer?

Lower the stress and his/her immunity system will skyrocket.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I ended up treating her with General Cure (mixed with Focus). She kept spitting out the food though so I ended up doing the whole packet systemic water treatment (followed pkg recs). The patches cleared up within a couple days. So, I think it was some sort of parasitic infection. I’ve still got it in the QT tank, I think I’m gonna wait another 4-6 weeks and may do another round of treatment before I move her to the display.

General Cure has metronidazole in it and fish find it very bitter, so I typically treat as a bath in the water, or I mix in cod liver oil to try and mask the taste. Sounds like you are being good and cautious! I always wait a minimum of a month after the last symptoms have abated before I even consider moving a fish into a DT....I've been down that road so many times I just won't risk rushing them...

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back