Is this Acan/Micromussa behavior normal?

RoryReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first acan/micro lord a few weeks ago. She (yep, my SO has designated this acan a "she") plumped up really well in the first few days, though over the last week or so I've noticed that she's been opening up more and more, with feeder tentacles and the inner "face" (guts??, technical term) spilling over the pillow-y "petal" ring around the outside. Not sure if this behavior is normal, or indicates something is amiss (low lighting, flow, unhappy with nearby duncan/other acan, hungry?). I thought it was just happy, but part of the "face" looks a little transparent and it's been poofy, not looking like any other acans I've seen. So, I figured getting another opinion can't hurt!

Thanks for your time and help :)

Can't hurt to give my params too I guess, if it is something to worry about:
Temp : 25.5C / 79 F
PH: 8.2
NH4: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 7.5 ppm
Phosphate: don't have test kit yet :(
Salinity: 1.0255 SG
Alk: 8.7 dKH
Ca: 430
Mg: 1430
PAR: running it pretty low settings on my LED right now, most of the tank is 30-80 (It will be acan/lps dominate). This acan's location is in the 40-60 range if my notes are right. (It's my understanding they can do quite fine and may color nicely in lower light, so that's what I'm shooting for).

20200421_125103.jpg

OP
OP
RoryReefs

RoryReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white spec is one of the tentacles that's curled in and turned white. This one has a few tentacles which are "peeled" inward a little more than the others and have white or green lines leading inward. I figured this is normal, but if not let me know! I really want these creatures to be as happy and comfy as possible!

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s doing good. The only time you have to worry when Acan is retracted in to skeleton very tight(nibbling), next stage tissue breaking off skeleton/receding(bacterial), worst when polyps dis-attach and float away(most of the time crashing tanks)
Very often acans are not happy if peppermint shrimp is eating it at night. Or constant nibbling of fish.
Acan can be attacked by other related lps (chalice, echinata, etc)

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another advise, try to glue it to a rock or larger disk. Less tangling around, happier Acan

OP
OP
RoryReefs

RoryReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback! No nibbing to be seen! Nothing to nibble at them in the tank, just some snails that occasionally come by to pick at the algae on the plug. :) Will be moving the acan to rock soon!
It’s doing good. The only time you have to worry when Acan is retracted in to skeleton very tight(nibbling), next stage tissue breaking off skeleton/receding(bacterial), worst when polyps dis-attach and float away(most of the time crashing tanks)
Very often acans are not happy if peppermint shrimp is eating it at night. Or constant nibbling of fish.
Acan can be attacked by other related lps (chalice, echinata, etc)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back