Is this dangerous? wires exposed on skimmer

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Somatic 90 abut a year of use. I have not pulled it out of the sump all that often (maybe 8-10 times?) I only clean it completely every few months

I just noticed this area where the wire comes out, the casing has crumbled and exposing the wires inside:

I was thinking of just smothering it with clear silicone ? or is this really bad?

72395827_500755420486359_7083538550242672640_n.jpg
71673634_875014309561432_3042887043911778304_n.jpg

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a situation like this I think any reasonable advice from a forum should be stop using it and replace it. Because if normal used caused that it will only get worse over time even with something applied to it. I just dont know the root cause.

OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. for now I globed huge mass of silicone on the area. reached out to BRS asking about warranty or possible recall

I guess i may replace the whole thing with a different skimmer

Agreed. Looks like a disaster in the making. Did you buy it new?

yes from BRS but it about a year old

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for now I globed huge mass of silicone on the area.

I would REALLY strongly advise against using that pump! Not trying to be an A**, just very concerned.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would REALLY strongly advise against using that pump! Not trying to be an A**, just very concerned.
I can tell you with 100% certainty that you do not want that to short out in the water. I had a light do the same thing, and it killed so many corals when I finally found it.

OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the advise will be ordering a new skimmer ASAP

off original topic, Any recommendations for a really QUIET skimmer that can handle a range of 55-120 gallons? this one has also been kinda on the noisy side. :(

also to add, the design of the skimmer has the electrical cord coming out at the base and due to placement in the sump it was probably rubbing up against the glass or divider in my sump. I suppose this lead to such an early failure. seems like a design flaw, I reached out to BRS and I suppose I should send some emails to both BRS and Soamtic / Vertex

Last edited:

Sporkwonder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact Sicce if it is one of their pumps and see what they can do for you. I would just replace the pump and not the entire skimmer.

Sporkwonder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact Sicce if it is one of their pumps and see what they can do for you. I would just replace the pump and not the entire skimmer.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the advise will be ordering a new skimmer ASAP

off original topic, Any recommendations for a really QUIET skimmer that can handle a range of 55-120 gallons? this one has also been kinda on the noisy side. :(

also to add, the design of the skimmer has the electrical cord coming out at the base and due to placement in the sump it was probably rubbing up against the glass or divider in my sump. I suppose this lead to such an early failure. seems like a design flaw, I reached out to BRS and I suppose I should send some emails to both BRS and Soamtic / Vertex

How much do you want to spend? I think reef octopus is probably the best all around for most. I'd look at tunze as well. They are every bit as good as ro but half the size

OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The guys at BRS are very helpful and have already reached out to Vertex to check on warranty. If I have to buy a pump and it expensive, I may just opt for a different skimmer as I'm not please with the noise level from this skimmer and who knows if it is prone to the same failure again.

How much do you want to spend? I think reef octopus is probably the best all around for most. I'd look at tunze as well. They are every bit as good as ro but half the size

I was looking at the Nyos quantum 120 since I saw some reviews that say it is quiet. Nothing decided yet... and yea, not really happy about spending the money. I was sold on this skimmer because of the price point. it works pretty well, but noisy. and then this problem with the wire. :rolleyes: I guess that's what I get for buying a new product not many reviews were out yet on it...

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guys at BRS are very helpful and have already reached out to Vertex to check on warranty. If I have to buy a pump and it expensive, I may just opt for a different skimmer as I'm not please with the noise level from this skimmer and who knows if it is prone to the same failure again.

I was looking at the Nyos quantum 120 since I saw some reviews that say it is quiet. Nothing decided yet... and yea, not really happy about spending the money. I was sold on this skimmer because of the price point. it works pretty well, but noisy. and then this problem with the wire. :rolleyes: I guess that's what I get for buying a new product not many reviews were out yet on it...

Honestly nyos is overpriced imo. I heard they're good but reef octopus has been doing this forever with a great track record for less money. Tunze is also top notch with a proven track record.

It's your money just trying to help out

OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vertex response: (about what I was expecting) :rolleyes:

Vertex Support <[email protected]>
Tue 10/15/2019 12:24 PM

Good Morning,

Carl, we apologize for the delay. Thank you for your inquiry and for trusting your aquarium with our products. There has not been a recall for these units. Please let us know if this is causing any issue on the pumps performance.

Thank you,

Vertex Tech Support

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back