0   0   0
20 gallon long
Tank Parameters
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrates:0ppm
Nitrites :0ppm
pH:8
Alk: 11
Calcium:320(I'm new to reefing would appreciate advice onhow to get this up to 400 range too)
Phosphate;0.1( added gfo and chemo pure, going down to 0.05)

Tank inhabitants:
Yellow tail damsel
8 hermit crabs (Scarlett and blue legs)
2 nassarius snails ( I had around 8-10 snails of different varieties and most of them died off which I read is a key sign of Dinos)

Hey everyone! First post on here and I'm looking for some help on Id-ing and combating Dinoflagellates. I'm unsure because although it looks like Dinos, they don't have the air bubble which is on all the pictures I'm seeing of other people's dino problems. It's mostly growing on rocks, not much on sandbed.
My tank is around 3 months old including 5 week cycling, and I currently don't have any corals because I've been busy combating annoying pests like byrposis(completely gone, got from original live rock) and red slime(almost completely gone).
Im thinking of doing a 3 day blackout, wont really hurt anything since I'm coralless, and doing a dose of 2ml of food safe hydrogen peroxide for a few days.

I would appreciate any and all help you can give, including how to take better pictures of what's in my tank, especially small stuff like this.

IMG_20191019_194210.jpg IMG_20191019_194144.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Identification is very difficult by appearance only. Do you have access to a microscope? Pics with the white lights on may help as well.

If it is dinos, then you need a definite diagnosis of the type since treatments are different for each kind.

Keep nutrients (NO3 & PO4) in the tank... even if you have to dose them. Don't let one or both bottom out.

OP
OP
S

Schichko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Identification is very difficult by appearance only. Do you have access to a microscope? Pics with the white lights on may help as well.

If it is dinos, then you need a definite diagnosis of the type since treatments are different for each kind.

Keep nutrients (NO3 & PO4) in the tank... even if you have to dose them. Don't let one or both bottom out.
Okay, I guess best treatment would be no water changes or GFO for a while, and no I don't have access to a microscope

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that many people posting who have had dino outbreaks were using GFO. I had/have finis fir the past year...Amphidinium dinos. They aren't as toxic as other dinos, but they are harder to get rid of them.

If you are losing snails (I think i saw that in your double post in another forum), then that could be dinos vs just a new tank.

Hopefully it isn't dinos... maybe your local fish store has a microscope? Or, you can get a cheap one on Amazon.

I raised my PO4 to around .08 - 0.10 and elevated my nitrates to around 10-20ppm and maintained that for a long time. But, if it isn't Amphidinium dinos, the other types do respond well to blackouts, uv, and h2o2 dosing...amphidinium dinos don't respond to those treatments. I did a 5.5 daddy blackout and my dinos weren't phased by it.

Back