Is this Elegance Coral Syndrome?

Lumbagix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! I’ve had this Elegance for around a week or two now and I think it may have gotten Elegance coral syndrome?

Parameters:
Phos: 0.04
Nitrate: 30ppm (I think this may be the main culprit but I’m not sure)
Alk: 8.4
Calc: 440
Mag: 1400
PH: 8.0
91A34C97-D345-4303-ADFC-F5E2EE70F331.jpeg
99FE7A50-570E-4036-A51D-6FE51791C842.jpeg
D55FC5B3-39C7-442E-AFF7-2DF6C32E5E30.jpeg
68D2D248-30B0-4057-BBE7-88D6341FC034.jpeg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes, mine looked like that as they died but that was a few years ago, others might know better.
If it is just a week in it will not be your water btw which looks fine to me.

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is ECS based on past forum threads and my own Elegance doing this years ago. See the white strings? That's basically the Elegance Coral's guts. Yours did it pretty fast so it was probably on the decline at the store.

Honestly I wasn't able to save mine. But you can try a few things. I heard Iodine dips may help (didn't work for me though). Also can you lower the intensity of your lights? Or put it in a shaded area? I heard many elegance corals can't stand high amounts of lighting. I think many are coming from environments which have low lighting and the puffiness you see is a result from exposure to bright lighting.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
High nitrate and mag are in part affecting this coral. Mine is size of a soccer ball
Try to SLOWLY bring tank into these ranges:

Temp 77-79
salinity 1.025
mag 1300
ph 8.1 - 8.3
alk 8-9
CA 440
nitrate < .04
Phosphate < .05
Ammonia < .03

Moderate light and water flow

Mine:

1607874885078.png

OP
OP
Lumbagix

Lumbagix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is ECS based on past forum threads and my own Elegance doing this years ago. See the white strings? That's basically the Elegance Coral's guts. Yours did it pretty fast so it was probably on the decline at the store.

Honestly I wasn't able to save mine. But you can try a few things. I heard Iodine dips may help (didn't work for me though). Also can you lower the intensity of your lights? Or put it in a shaded area? I heard many elegance corals can't stand high amounts of lighting. I think many are coming from environments which have low lighting and the puffiness you see is a result from exposure to bright lighting.
Yeah I just wanted to make sure it was 100% ECS so I could properly treat it with a freshwater dip and an iodine dip. Thanks

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 100% ECS, you can search for some of my other posts - someone else had the same issue earlier this week and I posted some details. Basically no 100% confirmed effrctive treatment bc no one knows for sure the cause unless there were new research and development in this area...

Levi Nicolas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 100% ECS, you can search for some of my other posts - someone else had the same issue earlier this week and I posted some details. Basically no 100% confirmed effrctive treatment bc no one knows for sure the cause unless there were new research and development in this area...
Unfortunately I couldn't find your posts talking about ECS, can you explain how you got it back please? It's just that recently my elegance showed to have ECS and then on wednesday I did a fresh water dip with iodine, to this day it's still half open but without the tentacles.

Note: after the bath I put him back in the aquarium and made a shadow to rest him.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I couldn't find your posts talking about ECS, can you explain how you got it back please? It's just that recently my elegance showed to have ECS and then on wednesday I did a fresh water dip with iodine, to this day it's still half open but without the tentacles.

Note: after the bath I put him back in the aquarium and made a shadow to rest him.
Mine never made it. I think I saw your post in the other thread too... or maybe it was a diff one. There were a couple of ecs threads lately so maybe I'm mixing it all up.

Basically some of the common observation and collective experience suggest that light/flow has to do with it as well as params where keeping low light low flow aids its recovery. There were also anecdotal theories suggesting that its some kind of pathogen where iodine/antibacterial/freshwater dips did the trick.. It sounds like you already are doing all the suggested treatments so now it's just the waiting game and keeping your water params as good and as stable as possible

Mine never recovered, it just stayed inflated and stubby (no tentacle) and suffered a slow death over 2 months.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine never made it. I think I saw your post in the other thread too... or maybe it was a diff one. There were a couple of ecs threads lately so maybe I'm mixing it all up.

Basically some of the common observation and collective experience suggest that light/flow has to do with it as well as params where keeping low light low flow aids its recovery. There were also anecdotal theories suggesting that its some kind of pathogen where iodine/antibacterial/freshwater dips did the trick.. It sounds like you already are doing all the suggested treatments so now it's just the waiting game and keeping your water params as good and as stable as possible

Mine never recovered, it just stayed inflated and stubby (no tentacle) and suffered a slow death over 2 months.
Thats too bad. One of the nicest corals out there

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats too bad. One of the nicest corals out there
Yeah I was pretty sad, when I got it first few weeks it was as pretty as yours...

To this date I have not bought another Elegance coral bc i didn't want to go thru that again..maybe one day, or when I upgrade my 30g to the 200G.

Levi Nicolas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O meu nunca conseguiu. Acho que vi seu post no outro fio também... ou talvez fosse um diff. Houve alguns fios de ECs ultimamente, então talvez eu esteja misturando tudo.

Basicamente, algumas das observações comuns e experiência coletiva sugerem que a luz/fluxo tem a ver com isso, bem como params onde manter baixa luz de baixo fluxo ajuda sua recuperação. Havia também teorias anedóticas sugerindo que é algum tipo de patógeno onde mergulhos de iodo/antibacteriano/água doce fizeram o truque.. Parece que você já está fazendo todos os tratamentos sugeridos então agora é apenas o jogo de espera e manter seus params de água tão bom e estável quanto possível

O meu nunca se recuperou, apenas permaneceu inflado e stubby (sem tentáculo) e sofreu uma morte lenta ao longo de 2 meses.
Isso é uma pena, amigo, eu estou fazendo tudo como a fantasia diz e espero que ele se recupere

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back