Is this enough for a Dino I.D?

ReefTosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, brown matty stuff on sandbed (and now starting to go up the rock next to it)

I tried the strain test, where I scooped up some, mixed it, strained it and let it sit in a glass.

After about 30m the same stuff that's on the sandbed appeared in the glass.

Got my little usb microscope on it and confirmed it dino's. But I'm not sure if the quality is good enough for an I.D.

0005 - Copy.jpg

any help is appreciated, thanks

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd bet prorocentrum, but can't be 100% sure at that level of detail.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like prorocentrum or ostreopsis. I had both at the same time for what its worth. Some treatments that will help deal with either of these are:

Lower photo period to no more than 3-4 hours, 24hr blackout is better if possible
Buy a UV sterilizer, Green killing machine is carried by petco and is under 100 USD if you want to go cheaper, it does work for dinos.
Live phyto dosing is your friend
1ml Peroxide per 10 gallons of water per day dosed
You MUST keep nitrates above 5ppm and keep phos above .05, .1 is preferred.
A bacterial additive of your choice can help, I dosed microbacter7 daily, this debated upon, but im sure it helped for me.
Copepods are your friend.
Dosing silicates to 2ppm per day will induce diatom bloom, diatoms are great at getting rid of dinos, harder to do if using UV though as the UV will kill diatoms.

OP
OP
ReefTosh

ReefTosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd bet prorocentrum, but can't be 100% sure at that level of detail.
Looks like prorocentrum or ostreopsis. I had both at the same time for what its worth. Some treatments that will help deal with either of these are:

Lower photo period to no more than 3-4 hours, 24hr blackout is better if possible
Buy a UV sterilizer, Green killing machine is carried by petco and is under 100 USD if you want to go cheaper, it does work for dinos.
Live phyto dosing is your friend
1ml Peroxide per 10 gallons of water per day dosed
You MUST keep nitrates above 5ppm and keep phos above .05, .1 is preferred.
A bacterial additive of your choice can help, I dosed microbacter7 daily, this debated upon, but im sure it helped for me.
Copepods are your friend.
Dosing silicates to 2ppm per day will induce diatom bloom, diatoms are great at getting rid of dinos, harder to do if using UV though as the UV will kill diatoms.

Thankyou for the information and the quick replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back