Is this flukes?

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s very hard to tell in the picture, but I got a couple of clowns in yesterday. They both have a single white bump on their right eye. Other than that, they show no other signs of illness. I’m thinking it’s probably flukes and I know I’d need to freshwater dip to confirm, but I’d just like to know what everyone else thought before I do so
369C2442-C1E7-4343-9B3C-1379C7D44A7F.jpeg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what i am seeing tbh. Turning off the blue lights and just leaving whites will help a lot with detail in the picture.
Fwiw fw dips are pretty well tolerated if do see signs of distress returning to salt water reverses them.

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what i am seeing tbh. Turning off the blue lights and just leaving whites will help a lot with detail in the picture.
Fwiw fw dips are pretty well tolerated if do see signs of distress returning to salt water reverses them.
I’ve literally been trying to get a good photo for 20 minutes. It’s just not happening. The fish want to chase the micro bubbles instead. On each fish, there is a protruding white spot. The area underneath looks a bit cloudy.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe @HotRocks @4FordFamily @Humblefish Will have a better idea.

personally id remove to a separate tank and treat with
Day one api general care
Day 3 metro plex
Day 5 metroplex
Day 7 general care

Then every second day for another 7 days metro again.
would take care of flukes and brook. But id wait on the experts :)

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe @HotRocks @4FordFamily @Humblefish Will have a better idea.

personally id remove to a separate tank and treat with
Day one api general care
Day 3 metro plex
Day 5 metroplex
Day 7 general care

Then every second day for another 7 days metro again.
would take care of flukes and brook. But id wait on the experts :)
Unfortunately there is not other tank to remove them to. The good news is that they are the only 2 fish in the tank. There are no corals either

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro is generally safe, id skip the gc in a display. The other ingredients praziquantel Kills worms, and the die off from worms in the sand and rocks could cuase an ammonia spike, causing more harm then good. So metro every other day for 14 days.

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro is generally safe, id skip the gc in a display. The other ingredients praziquantel Kills worms, and the die off from worms in the sand and rocks could cuase an ammonia spike, causing more harm then good. So metro every other day for 14 days.
Why not something more specific like prazipro? It’s doesn’t look like brook at all. Just the single bump on the eye and the cloudiness underneath. They just ate too. I guess I could do a freshwater dip and see if anything comes off

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not something more specific like prazipro? It’s doesn’t look like brook at all. Just the single bump on the eye and the cloudiness underneath. They just ate too. I guess I could do a freshwater dip and see if anything comes off
prazipro is praziquantel. If have a 5 gallon bucket this could be used as a temporary qt tank for the 14 days. Metro treats flukes as well. And there are praziquantel and metro resistant flukes. Prazi will kill any adults within 24 hours of dosing need to redose on day seven to kill any eggs that hatched. If they are prazi resistant the metro will kill them.

Need for the bucket a heater, a cheap one is fine
A bubbler
And another emergency bucket of sw for water changes.

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prazipro is praziquantel. If have a 5 gallon bucket this could be used as a temporary qt tank for the 14 days. Metro treats flukes as well. And there are praziquantel and metro resistant flukes. Prazi will kill any adults within 24 hours of dosing need to redose on day seven to kill any eggs that hatched. If they are prazi resistant the metro will kill them.

Need for the bucket a heater, a cheap one is fine
A bubbler
And another emergency bucket of sw for water changes.
So which is better? Prazi or metro? I can just treat in the DT. There’s nothing in there except a few snails, which those meds won’t harm

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I FW dipped both clowns. It was hard to tell if flukes came off of them, but it looked like there were some in the water. One clown now has a clear eye while the other still has the spot. Is it possible that the fluke just didn’t dislodge?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it possible they didn't dislodge. How did they do in the dip? I usually go for 8 minutes to ensure the best results.

They will are opaque in color and resemble sesame seeds. What did you find after the dip?

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it possible they didn't dislodge. How did they do in the dip? I usually go for 8 minutes to ensure the best results.

They will are opaque in color and resemble sesame seeds. What did you find after the dip?
The spot looks like it is sticking out more. Almost as if it was dislodging and didn’t quite get out all the way. They did quite well in the dip. Obviously not very happy, but very calm and hardy. I think I saw a few flukes, but I’m not sure. The best way I could describe them is like flakes of skin maybe.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I suggest posting addition photo with white lights on. Are you noticing any strange behavior such as fishing, lack of appetite, yawning, breathing heavy?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spot looks like it is sticking out more. Almost as if it was dislodging and didn’t quite get out all the way. They did quite well in the dip. Obviously not very happy, but very calm and hardy. I think I saw a few flukes, but I’m not sure. The best way I could describe them is like flakes of skin maybe.
Flukes usually look like sesame seeds. Prazi can be used in a DT but for other treatments you’ll need a quarantine. If the eye gets worse quickly you’ll need antibiotics as described above and they won’t be effective in a display tank but especially when you see how much it’ll cost to treat them there you’ll want a QT lol

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I suggest posting addition photo with white lights on. Are you noticing any strange behavior such as fishing, lack of appetite, yawning, breathing heavy?
These questions — and Spots? Scratching?

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t get a picture. I’ve tried. Im not seeing the spot anymore so maybe it was a fluke that finally dislodged after the dip. I stated earlier that there were no additional signs of illness and that they were eating. No odd behavior. I guess I’ll just go with the prazi and hope that it works.

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish seem like they have a less energy today. No spots on their eyes anymore. Now their eyes are definitely cloudy. I was able to get decent pictures.
2BD70924-5021-4116-B238-A51073A31995.jpeg
99076A88-309A-4519-B33F-B28154268048.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back