OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, my male swallowtail angel is showing some redness around one of his pectoral fins. Right at the base. Also, some fin damage, could this be due to stress from all this? Will the kanaplex and furan2 help? Rally dip was already done for antiseptic purposes.

Here’s a screenshot of the redness marked on it lol. I couldn’t get a good picture as he’s quite camera shy

IMG_1254.JPG

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so, I just wanted to be sure. I would think the furan 2 would cover it, but we better see what the experts think.

Yea, he’s the only one showing it. Furan2 is done on Friday. So is kanaplex. I don’t see any reason, aside from this one thing, to do a second treatment of both. I have plenty on hand so I’m patiently waiting to see what I can find here and if anything changes by Friday.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan-2 + Kanaplex should, indeed, cover redness like that ... keep a watch, and see if it fades or worsens.

~Bruce
I would keep treating with furan2 and kanaplex due to visible signs of infection but what do you think Bruce?

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan-2 + Kanaplex should, indeed, cover redness like that ... keep a watch, and see if it fades or worsens.

~Bruce

Okay, I’ll separate him this weekend into his own tank (20g, small yes but it’s all I have) and continue treating him there. Unless you think I should keep treating everyone?

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I’ll separate him this weekend into his own tank (20g, small yes but it’s all I have) and continue treating him there. Unless you think I should keep treating everyone?
If they are eating well and no squabling I would treat them all.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just FYI I think a 20 gallon long is the perfect tank for a hospital tank 90% of the time. It is very versatile. For medications and few fish water level can be lowered to 10 gallons, but lots of surface area, or can be filled up for a full 20 gallons for more fish. I use a Fluval u3 filter and it is very versatile. You can change the flow, bottom to stir it up, to the top for surface agitation, thru the middle for gentle flow & you can lay it on its side for shallower water. Love it!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are eating well and no squabling I would treat them all.

No squabbling. Just my purple and yellow tang but they don’t seem to cause each other any damage. Okay, I’ll be back home tonight so I’ll do a water change and continue another round of kanaplex and furan2.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No squabbling. Just my purple and yellow tang but they don’t seem to cause each other any damage. Okay, I’ll be back home tonight so I’ll do a water change and continue another round of kanaplex and furan2.
I think this is a good course of action with the presenting symptoms, and the fish otherwise tolerating the QT well.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a good course of action with the presenting symptoms, and the fish otherwise tolerating the QT well.

Yea. I’m quite shocked at how well they’re doing. The angelfish is a little shy but he’s always been like that. Otherwise, when I walk into the room, they’re all against the glass impatiently waiting for food to hit the water.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25% water change done this morning. The second treatment of Furan2 and Kanaplex started for what looks like a little bit of fin rot / bacterial infection on the angel. Everyone is reacting well to the second treatment so far and continue to eat. So, all is well

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good news. Glad to hear it!

Can I ask you a quick question regarding copper? I measured 1.98 three days ago and had to go away for a few days. This morning I checked it at 1.62 I’m using Copper Power and was wondering if a swing like that is normal or can the Furan 2 throw the readings off since it discolored the water a bit? It didn’t get low enough, I hope, to restart the time so I just made up for it during the water change. It worries me a bit as I’m away for a few days next week

I do have a ATO on it btw

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask you a quick question regarding copper? I measured 1.98 three days ago and had to go away for a few days. This morning I checked it at 1.62 I’m using Copper Power and was wondering if a swing like that is normal or can the Furan 2 throw the readings off since it discolored the water a bit? It didn’t get low enough, I hope, to restart the time so I just made up for it during the water change. It worries me a bit as I’m away for a few days next week

I do have a ATO on it btw
It is probably absorption. Do you have media in the tank or in the HOBs?

I use Furan-2 all the time in copper. I always test right before the dose and right after. My results are always within the +/-.05ppm tolerance of the tester.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice that drop in copper if I use the little stone media in my hob. I don’t see it if I just use floss. Seems like the copper absorbs into ‘the rock’.

And I also notice a drop from mid 1.8’s to mid 1.6’s in 3 days. For my 9 gallons in my QT, I add another 550ul (0.55ml) and it comes back up to 1.82 ish

Ymmv

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 81 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back