OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is probably absorption. Do you have media in the tank or in the HOBs?

I use Furan-2 all the time in copper. I always test right before the dose and right after. My results are always within the +/-.05ppm tolerance of the tester.

Just a foam pad in the HOBs. But that’s interesting. I’ll keep testing when I can this week but I suppose it’s time my better 3/4s learns how to test for copper [emoji51]

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice that drop in copper if I use the little stone media in my hob. I don’t see it if I just use floss. Seems like the copper absorbs into ‘the rock’.

And I also notice a drop from mid 1.8’s to mid 1.6’s in 3 days. For my 9 gallons in my QT, I add another 550ul (0.55ml) and it comes back up to 1.82 ish

Ymmv

Hmmm. I do have some special grade sand in there for the wrasse. I wonder if that’s causing some absorption

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so. I did get a call from my fiancé saying she noticed a white dot on the hippo tank and he/she was trying to scratch it off against the PVC pipe. Maybe I’m rushing to conclusion but I do not want to go through what I went through two week ago again.

I did test initially at 1.41. Retested again immediately and got 1.68 and then a third time at 1.66. So I figured the 1.41 was a bad test. Did a water change with copper at 1.98 which brought the copper back up to 1.80. But that 1.41 now makes me nervous.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’ll do it, i think
It depends on what you use I suppose. I use Fiji pink dry in a small Pyrex dish for burrowing wrasses. Very little to no absorption.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you use I suppose. I use Fiji pink dry in a small Pyrex dish for burrowing wrasses. Very little to no absorption.

I use the dry aragonite special sand. I’ll be home in a few hours and test for copper to check. I put the stuff in a small dish, too, but my wrasse is more interested in throwing it all over the QT as opposed to keeping it clean. Kinda like my 12 year and making her bed. Hmmm

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Got home and measured copper. 1.74 so minus .06. Probably error on my part. Will continue to test and keep an eye on it.

Did second dose of the second treatment of Furan2. Tomorrow they’ll get a water change in the morning along with dose 3 and dose 2 of kanaplex.

As far as the fish, angelfish pectoral fin is still slightly red but more pink then red. His fins look MUCH better. I’m noticing another outbreak of ich on the purple and hippo tang. Copper had been in for 5-6 days. I have to look back as I forgot to note it.

Is it normal to go through another small outbreak during the 14 days?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that really stinks. most likely the copper really did drop to subtherapeutic and the Theronts did not die from the copper. I would remove the sand.

Agreed- a second infection event might indicate sub therapeutic copper levels.

Sorry man, that blows

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Got home and measured copper. 1.74 so minus .06. Probably error on my part. Will continue to test and keep an eye on it.

Did second dose of the second treatment of Furan2. Tomorrow they’ll get a water change in the morning along with dose 3 and dose 2 of kanaplex.

As far as the fish, angelfish pectoral fin is still slightly red but more pink then red. His fins look MUCH better. I’m noticing another outbreak of ich on the purple and hippo tang. Copper had been in for 5-6 days. I have to look back as I forgot to note it.

Is it normal to go through another small outbreak during the 14 days?
If the copper level drops below 1.50ppm then free swimmers being released could live and re-infect fish. So if you are seeing new spots you need to restart the clock back to day 1.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Yea I was going to reset it just to play it safe. All of the bacterial stuff is gone and I feel like I have handle of managing and treating this ICH stuff. I’ll press on with the rest of the furan2 and kanaplex and will reset the clock as of yesterday.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Yea I was going to reset it just to play it safe. All of the bacterial stuff is gone and I feel like I have handle of managing and treating this ICH stuff. I’ll press on with the rest of the furan2 and kanaplex and will reset the clock as of yesterday.

Almost through the woods. Keep up the good work abd you’ll be rewarded with some beautiful healthy fish

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost through the woods. Keep up the good work abd you’ll be rewarded with some beautiful healthy fish

Thanks bud! Almost there. I’ll be away for the next 5 days starting tomorrow night so it kinda makes the time fly by. My wish is that I had a reef neighbor to come and check on the copper levels while I’m away.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that really stinks. most likely the copper really did drop to subtherapeutic and the Theronts did not die from the copper. I would remove the sand.

I would love to! But it seems my wrasse really likes to lay below or next to the heater when he doesn’t have sand to burrow in. That causes a mess of new problems for him so.... he gets sand lok

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bud! Almost there. I’ll be away for the next 5 days starting tomorrow night so it kinda makes the time fly by. My wish is that I had a reef neighbor to come and check on the copper levels while I’m away.

My local is LZU. Drop off your spare one day and I’ll pop in and look after it for you when you are [emoji1308]working [emoji1308](insert air quote emoji)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%

Back