Is this ICH again?!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only QT'd 3 types of wrasses that I can recall, but I only used sand for one of them. The rest I just put pvc pipes in them. Oddly the one I used sand for never acclimated to tank life and died. A coris wrasse. The others were a yellow wrasse, 2 six lined wrasses, and a very long time ago I had a Halichoeres melanurus. All were beautiful.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, saw first sign of stress from my lyretails yesterday so I did a water change and decided to stop the second treatment of Furan2 and kanaplex. Copper reset is at day 3. It seems I lose about .25ppm of copper every 72 hours or so.

The bacterial infection is pretty much cleared up and at this point it’s grabbing control of the ich.

I’m away on a trip but the family has received a full brief and instruction on testing and adding them retesting should the need arise. (I consider myself very lucky). Let’s hope this is the last of it.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, saw first sign of stress from my lyretails yesterday so I did a water change and decided to stop the second treatment of Furan2 and kanaplex. Copper reset is at day 3. It seems I lose about .25ppm of copper every 72 hours or so.

The bacterial infection is pretty much cleared up and at this point it’s grabbing control of the ich.

I’m away on a trip but the family has received a full brief and instruction on testing and adding them retesting should the need arise. (I consider myself very lucky). Let’s hope this is the last of it.
Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 5
Copper 1.79

So, I’m growing slightly frustrated. I came home from the trip and they’re super super active. Eating like pigs but the hippo tang is covered!

I forgot, when does ich typically fall off?

I know you can’t see it very well but they’re white dots like salt sprinkled all over him. I’ll try to get my DSLR on him later during feeding
IMG_1312.JPG

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever considered giving the fish a FW dip?

It could be flukes. If it were me I'd dip to confirm if they are present or not. 5 days therapeutic copper it is still possible to see white spots or at least remnants of the original affliction. If flukes are present you'd need to dose prazi or GC for deworming once copper treatment is finished.

FW dips can be used as needed to provide temporary relief.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve already done a FW bath. I can certainly do another one. I’m going away again tomorrow until 01/01. If he’s not clear by then, I’ll perform another bath.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered switching QT methods to either TTM or Hypo?

It’s crossed my mind. But I’m going to finish this round copper and move onto prazi during observation. Unless of course it doesn’t clear up then I’m at a loss of how to tackle this next.

Again, I come home in the 1st and if the hippo has not improved in appearance by then, I will FW dip. If by the end of the 14 days there’s no improvement, I’m going to have to separate him or even build a rack and just pick up four 20 longs and separate the fish. I really want to avoid this as I just don’t have the room right now. Between the work that’s still being performed on my new tank set up and the fishroom and now these guys it’s starting to get incredibly overwhelming.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to feel like giving up agai. Ugh. This is the most frustrating thing. I’m away until Tuesday and so my fiancé is looking after them. She tested for copper at 1.78 on Day 7 (today). She fed them and says they’re eating incredibly well. Everyone is active.

But the hippo is still covered in “white specs”

She sent me this picture and said she’ll try and get a clearer one but I have no clue what the heck is going on and just haven’t the slightest clue what to do next.
IMG_1310.jpg

I don’t expect her to do a FW bath again but should I have her add PraziPro in the copper?

If this persists do I eventually separate him into yet another tank and then move the rest to new 40b? This seems somewhat counter intuitive as I don’t want to contaminate a new tank.

I can’t buy any more tanks lol. I’m at 2 40b’s and 2 20s. I just don’t know what the heck to do. No sign of bacterial infections on any one but I’m afraid that’s next to start showing again soon.

@HotRocks, want to visit NJ?! ;)

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with prazipro in the water is that there is a greater than 50:50 chance of a BIG algae bloom 2-3 days after adding it.

You could have her dose it, but prepare yourself for a 100% water change when you get home.

I’m also not 100% sure of compatibility with copper, but I’m sure someone will be here in a moment to verify

I’m getting frustrated for you too man. But you’re almost through it, keep the end goal in mind, and you’ll get your beautiful fish back

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with prazipro in the water is that there is a greater than 50:50 chance of a BIG algae bloom 2-3 days after adding it.

You could have her dose it, but prepare yourself for a 100% water change when you get home.

I’m also not 100% sure of compatibility with copper, but I’m sure someone will be here in a moment to verify

I’m getting frustrated for you too man. But you’re almost through it, keep the end goal in mind, and you’ll get your beautiful fish back

I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Seems like I’m clearing somethings up while something else is getting away from me. When it seems I’ve regained control of the situation, it won’t give me but 24 hours to feel triumphant and wham! Something else.

I’m not necessarily opposed to doing a water a large water change. But I’m coming up on 7 days til they’re done with copper. Moving them to a sterile tank seems stupid when one of them continues to show signs of illness. But due to the confines and my own limitations, it seems like they develop something new before I’m able to finish any treatment.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try not to get too frustrated. I feel your pain with all these fish I have in QT right now for @4FordFamily's new 500g system.

Keep in mind copper only treats ich/velvet. There are other things like flukes that can cause white spots.

It could be a secondary bacterial infection as well. I would dip to see if flukes come off, if not you could add some antibiotics to the mix like furan-2 and Kanaplex.

If flukes are present then you can add general cure to copper.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they look like raised bumps/pimples or white salt attached to the slime coat?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Seems like I’m clearing somethings up while something else is getting away from me. When it seems I’ve regained control of the situation, it won’t give me but 24 hours to feel triumphant and wham! Something else.

I’m not necessarily opposed to doing a water a large water change. But I’m coming up on 7 days til they’re done with copper. Moving them to a sterile tank seems stupid when one of them continues to show signs of illness. But due to the confines and my own limitations, it seems like they develop something new before I’m able to finish any treatment.
This^^^ is the way it goes. Copper is an immunosuppressant so while it is taking care of ich/velvet, it will sometimes exacerbate other things like bacterial infections and other afflictions.

That is also why it's important to transfer them to a new sterile tank at the 14 day mark to take care of anything else that needs addressed.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try not to get too frustrated. I feel your pain with all these fish I have in QT right now for @4FordFamily's new 500g system.

Keep in mind copper only treats ich/velvet. There are other things like flukes that can cause white spots.

It could be a secondary bacterial infection as well. I would dip to see if flukes come off, if not you could add some antibiotics to the mix like furan-2 and Kanaplex.

If flukes are present then you can add general cure to copper.

I’m really trying lol. I think my fiancé has just about had enough. Makes it very tricky when I have to go away for work.

I had a change in schedule and will be home tomorrow afternoon. Will do that then. I’ve performed 3 FW baths on the hippo tang already... do you think I’m over stressing him/her?

I did a treatment and a half of kanaplex and furan2. My anthias started to show some odd behavior so I discontinued. They seem to be happier for it now.

Will try again with FW dip unless I hear otherwise and will report back tomorrow. Thanks for being so helpful!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they look like raised bumps/pimples or white salt attached to the slime coat?

I just spoke with my fiancé and she describes it as dust. That the hippo is covered in dust. I couldn’t get her to confirm if the actual dots were raised. She then sent a video and I’m sure it’s as obscured as the picture but I’ll share it. I’ll put my SLR to work when I get home tomorrow as the cellphone proves to be useless

Edit: we had just turned the light on to take a look. he remains very active during the day

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%

Back