Is this Ick or Stress Spots

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda odd guys. Woke up this morning and all ich spots gone.(not saying it's gone) Just saying its weird that they were gone in the morning from one treatment. Treated again today. Spots back, just not as bad. I think its mostly stress related.

No, not odd at all. Read up on ich, that’s essentially how it works.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What treatment are you using where you need to treat again? Is it one of those garbage reef safe treatments?

Yup ..... microbe lift herbtana = garbage. Even the name sounds like BS, and that’s before you read the marketing drivel. Had to talk a reefing buddy out of using it a few years ago.

OP
OP
NeptuneSpear2011

NeptuneSpear2011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, i did read up on it. However the reports and findings did not mention anything about night time behavior for Ich. If you have data on this please forward it on that discusses night time Ich. Googled

All, I don't mind reply's at all and will never complain. However if a reply is left please follow it up with back up data to corroborate your statements. I'm all about facts, so if opinions are sent I need to see what backs that statement up. Very technical individual. Aquariums are not that difficult to understand given accurate data or science behind it. Provide a link, a recent or past post, something to let me know your opinion is credible either based off given experience, or simply your education in the hobby and how you came to your conclusion.

Was very reluctant to post on a forum given the latching effect.

Again, not trying to be a dick here but brevity is not an answer.

If your offended it is what it is. If you're not, then you completely understand.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot. You'll need something better
You can dose whatever you like. The only way to rid the tank of ich and be able to keep corals and inverts alive is to pull all fish into a qt system. Then do CP, copper, or TTM while leaving the DT fallow for 76 days. There is something about TTM and hydrogen peroxide as well but I'm not familiar with it.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose whatever you like. The only way to rid the tank of ich and be able to keep corals and inverts alive is to pull all fish into a qt system. Then do CP, copper, or TTM while leaving the DT fallow for 76 days. There is something about TTM and hydrogen peroxide as well but I'm not familiar with it.
Check this:

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!!
Just bought a Neso Tang Yesterday and didn't notice any spots on him at store until today. Cant tell if this is Ick or Stress Spots. Leaning towards stress spots. Don't see him rubbing or scratching but Damsel will poke at him every so often. Didn't eat this morning, and hasn't taken to Algae Strips. Seems pretty calm swimming around doesn't look stressed out. Any help would be appreciated.

NESO TANG.jpg
bro, that's velvet. not "stress spots' lol

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So generally the way to tell ICh from velvet is if you can count the white spots you have ich if you have too many to count you have velvet . Also Velvet will kill all fish in your tank in 1-72 hours It moves fast and is brutal. I started my reefing career by just adding fish with no QT and it worked for my first 10 additions then my 11th addition a powder brown tang came in with velvet . My fish were moved to a hospital tank and I was only able to save my rabbitfish and clownfish all other 9 fish died from velvet in less then 48 hours. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE DO NOT WISH THIS ON ANY REEFER. So now I QT all my fish in copper for 30 days before adding to display tank. I suggest this for everyone .

I also went fallow for 90 days after the outbreak ........

Not to rant too much but also my government in Canada decided to ban all fish medication so that is just super fantastic to deal with .......

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said you need to remove the fish and treat them with your preferred method of the proven ones. TTM, CP, Copper. Once properly treated then the infestation of your DT is the issue. It needs to be fallow for 76 days unless you wanna raise temp consistently over 80.6, then the timeframe is lower, 45 days. Read up in all the research humblefish and the gang has done.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, i did read up on it. However the reports and findings did not mention anything about night time behavior for Ich. If you have data on this please forward it on that discusses night time Ich. Googled

All, I don't mind reply's at all and will never complain. However if a reply is left please follow it up with back up data to corroborate your statements. I'm all about facts, so if opinions are sent I need to see what backs that statement up. Very technical individual. Aquariums are not that difficult to understand given accurate data or science behind it. Provide a link, a recent or past post, something to let me know your opinion is credible either based off given experience, or simply your education in the hobby and how you came to your conclusion.

Was very reluctant to post on a forum given the latching effect.

Again, not trying to be a dick here but brevity is not an answer.

If your offended it is what it is. If you're not, then you completely understand.

Here we go again. Let me also be blunt/dick.

You've had MULTIPLE people here tell you that fish is sick. multiple have said velvet, some ICH. You know what?
It doesn't matter, the treatment is the same COPPER (if you wanna do it quickly). Herbtana, no other bs "medicine" is gonna work. Don't wanna believe us, listen, or want proof? Wait 72 hours and find out.

My advice? TREAT THE FISH, LEARN, AND THEN DO YOUR RESEARCH. people are already telling you what to do.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good resource ....

I think you’ll mostly have to decide for yourself who is credible and who is not (check out their threads/posts). Reefing is a hobby with an enormous amount of anecdotal information masquerading as fact/science .... and lots of armchair experts.

Either way, that fish is going to need proper treatment otherwise it’s a goner. I still think it’s ich, though velvet is a possibility. I’m lucky that in 35 years in the hobby I’ve never had a verified case of velvet. Not so fortunate with ich though ....

My personal treatment preference is choloroquine phosphate. Not always the easiest thing to find so most seem to use either copper power or tank transfer (for ich). Might want to see if the mods can move this thread to the fish disease forum.

There is also the topic of ich management versus ich eradication .... though perhaps left for another day.

Last edited:

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started this, this past weekend. The process sucks but I can see a difference in how happy 2 of my fish are. Out of the lot only the 2 were flashing. Almost as soon as I started treatment and they got use to their new environment they were showing signs of improvement. I’m new and didn’t heed the QT warnings but, from here on out, It’s QT for all new additions. Losing fish to something that can potentially be avoided sucks. Good luck, hope it all works out.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go again. Let me also be blunt/dick.

You've had MULTIPLE people here tell you that fish is sick. multiple have said velvet, some ICH. You know what?
It doesn't matter, the treatment is the same COPPER (if you wanna do it quickly). Herbtana, no other bs "medicine" is gonna work. Don't wanna believe us, listen, or want proof? Wait 72 hours and find out.

My advice? TREAT THE FISH, LEARN, AND THEN DO YOUR RESEARCH. people are already telling you what to do.
Have to agree with this assessment . Velvet is no joke . Copper treat in a hospital tank and hope it works because the alternative is fish death . Fallow tank 70-90 days for the display

QT new fish for 30 days in Copper then Prazi.

mottomegl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to the companies web site about these herba stuff if you read closely to what they say it says it strengthens the fish immune system and prevents the ich or diseases from coming back and it dies from no host which is a lie read the lifecycle of ich or any disease these is a snake oil i went through ich and flukes back in December i had to set up a qt tank best thing i did my fish have another month in qt and i can start putting fish back after 80 days

OP
OP
NeptuneSpear2011

NeptuneSpear2011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started this, this past weekend. The process sucks but I can see a difference in how happy 2 of my fish are. Out of the lot only the 2 were flashing. Almost as soon as I started treatment and they got use to their new environment they were showing signs of improvement. I’m new and didn’t heed the QT warnings but, from here on out, It’s QT for all new additions. Losing fish to something that can potentially be avoided sucks. Good luck, hope it all works out.
Perfect!! Exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you!!!

OP
OP
NeptuneSpear2011

NeptuneSpear2011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to the companies web site about these herba stuff if you read closely to what they say it says it strengthens the fish immune system and prevents the ich or diseases from coming back and it dies from no host which is a lie read the lifecycle of ich or any disease these is a snake oil i went through ich and flukes back in December i had to set up a qt tank best thing i did my fish have another month in qt and i can start putting fish back after 80 days
Yeah I had to start something since my LFS was closed(nothing closer) SO MANY different opinions on what the best course of action is. It’s literally split. QT vs. Not QT. Thank you!!

OP
OP
NeptuneSpear2011

NeptuneSpear2011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to agree with this assessment . Velvet is no joke . Copper treat in a hospital tank and hope it works because the alternative is fish death . Fallow tank 70-90 days for the display

QT new fish for 30 days in Copper then Prazi.
Yeah that’s the issue. Looks like both Velvet and Ich. Only outcome is QT but still not sure how to treat. My LFS opens back up tomorrow. I’ll need to hit them up for a better analysis

OP
OP
NeptuneSpear2011

NeptuneSpear2011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good resource ....

I think you’ll mostly have to decide for yourself who is credible and who is not (check out their threads/posts). Reefing is a hobby with an enormous amount of anecdotal information masquerading as fact/science .... and lots of armchair experts.

Either way, that fish is going to need proper treatment otherwise it’s a goner. I still think it’s ich, though velvet is a possibility. I’m lucky that in 35 years in the hobby I’ve never had a verified case of velvet. Not so fortunate with ich though ....

My personal treatment preference is choloroquine phosphate. Not always the easiest thing to find so most seem to use either copper power or tank transfer (for ich). Might want to see if the mods can move this thread to the fish disease forum.

There is also the topic of ich management versus ich eradication .... though perhaps left for another day.
You are 100% right. I believe most IS anecdotal which is the prob. So that’s something I’d be interested in is eradication but the only way I’ve researched is moving everything out to QT. I’ve got no corals so I can let the tank go a month or so without livestock

OP
OP
NeptuneSpear2011

NeptuneSpear2011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So generally the way to tell ICh from velvet is if you can count the white spots you have ich if you have too many to count you have velvet . Also Velvet will kill all fish in your tank in 1-72 hours It moves fast and is brutal. I started my reefing career by just adding fish with no QT and it worked for my first 10 additions then my 11th addition a powder brown tang came in with velvet . My fish were moved to a hospital tank and I was only able to save my rabbitfish and clownfish all other 9 fish died from velvet in less then 48 hours. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE DO NOT WISH THIS ON ANY REEFER. So now I QT all my fish in copper for 30 days before adding to display tank. I suggest this for everyone .

I also went fallow for 90 days after the outbreak ........

Not to rant too much but also my government in Canada decided to ban all fish medication so that is just super fantastic to deal with .......
Nothing else seems to be affected (for now). Doesn’t mean it won’t be however I’m leaning towards ich

OP
OP
NeptuneSpear2011

NeptuneSpear2011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate it!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back