Is this lid good enough for a firefish?

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have recently added a red firefish to my 85l nano tank and I was wonderng if this lid is sufficient enough to stop the firefish from jumping out of the tank

20230721_184532.jpg

I am talking about the actual mesh part of the lid, I am just concerned that the firefish could jump right through it

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think a firefish is going to get through that 1/4” mesh.
I found a lizard in the 1/4” wire I put around the garden to keep the rabbits out. It had been stuck for a few days and it perished.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in my experience. I've had two firefish jump right through the 1/4" mesh. Switched it out to the 1/8"
Ah right ok, does your particular tank have different lid options or did you have one custom made or something? My tank only has one option and I am looking for custom options.

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this same netting on a 20g. Built a lid with a screen kit from Home Depot a 1/4 mesh. Have a purple fire fish that hasn’t jumped out.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the standard mesh lid for Innovative Marine? I had a small radiant wrasse shoot through the mesh one night.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have recently added a red firefish to my 85l nano tank and I was wonderng if this lid is sufficient enough to stop the firefish from jumping out of the tank

20230721_184532.jpg

I am talking about the actual mesh part of the lid, I am just concerned that the firefish could jump right through it
Yep just fine, I have two firefish with a similar lid no issues. Mine never have tried to jump either

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it’s a risk. I have 2 red firefish(still in tank) and also a purple(haven’t seen it in weeks)… take that for what it’s worth. I’m thinking the cats got an easy snack.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak to the firefish but in terms of getting a smaller mesh - not sure what your options are in the UK but I was able to order a 1/8" mesh of the same type from an aquarium supply retailer here and rescreened the lid myself. Peeled out the splining and inserted the new piece. The spline didn't fit back as perfectly as the manufacturer had done it and I didn't get the screen quite so tight, but it's functional and nice enough :)

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak to the firefish but in terms of getting a smaller mesh - not sure what your options are in the UK but I was able to order a 1/8" mesh of the same type from an aquarium supply retailer here and rescreened the lid myself. Peeled out the splining and inserted the new piece. The spline didn't fit back as perfectly as the manufacturer had done it and I didn't get the screen quite so tight, but it's functional and nice enough :)
Thanks,
will look into that

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah right ok, does your particular tank have different lid options or did you have one custom made or something? My tank only has one option and I am looking for custom options.
Mine is an Innovative Marine tank and came with their lid. I just removed the 1/4" mesh and replaced it with 1/8" mesh. I reused the old spline.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 107 81.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back