Is this lighting 'idea' possible? Mount light 60" above the tank?

pal98111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1000w metal halide will do it. If you want to hide it, you would need to recess it about 18" or possibly more (for vertical placement) and use a silent ballast. These lights are remarkable in that they are as bright as the sun. If you crack a door with one inside, the shadow line will look like the sun coming in a window.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1000w metal halide will do it. If you want to hide it, you would need to recess it about 18" or possibly more (for vertical placement) and use a silent ballast. These lights are remarkable in that they are as bright as the sun. If you crack a door with one inside, the shadow line will look like the sun coming in a window.
I had considered halides, and used them in the past over my 240 cube back in the day. I think a 10K or 14K 1000 watt halide would make the anemones in the tank look great during the day. But, I've been spoiled by my Kessil A360WE's. The Kessil's provide a very halide like shimmer along with the controllability of spectrum and intensity. I think the Amazonas 960 would provide a very similar experience on a large scale.
I hate to admit it, but I find myself really enjoying the SPS and anemone fluorescence with all blue/violet LEDs at night with my orange filter glasses on. Can't do any of that with a 1000 watt halide. I wouldn't recess a 1000 watt halide in the ceiling either.
Fire Firefighter GIF by BRS Kash

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had considered halides, and used them in the past over my 240 cube back in the day. I think a 10K or 14K 1000 watt halide would make the anemones in the tank look great during the day. But, I've been spoiled by my Kessil A360WE's. The Kessil's provide a very halide like shimmer along with the controllability of spectrum and intensity. I think the Amazonas 960 would provide a very similar experience on a large scale.
I hate to admit it, but I find myself really enjoying the SPS and anemone fluorescence with all blue/violet LEDs at night with my orange filter glasses on. Can't do any of that with a 1000 watt halide. I wouldn't recess a 1000 watt halide in the ceiling either.
Fire Firefighter GIF by BRS Kash
You know if you are willing to put the 5 lights (1-960, 4 "other") and to do a "daylight" tank before going "blue" with the 960 there are probably inexpensive (relative to reef lights) led can lights that would work.
Need to get about 6500k though. Historically it doesn't matter much for growth..

You need about actual 4 x100W-ish.
You didn't say if you are willing to do 4-5 holes or so.

A bit warm but good color..

Opps, too wide..that would be an issue..

Or go way out of the box and use Stage lighting controlled by dmx.. ;)

You can mine Lasse's posts for the idea of using RGB leds.

Makes you wonder about the cost of aquarium lights eh.

Last edited:

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I read it correctly light is 60" above surface (water line) and the display is another 60" tall? So 120" total? Here is a tank similar to what you are considering. First couple of minutes should give you information on their lighting.

BTW Kessil a500 allows the use of a narrow lens and it is included with this model.

Edit: the video needs some context. Owner is of the opinion that keeping a reef requires a lot of fish poo. Part of his story is that he takes on fish that others would kill due to deformities. He keeps them in and provides them with care, food, and in turn they live respectfully decent lives while doing what he needs - pooping.

Amazing Video, thanks for sharing…

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a video on the kessil light that is supposed to be ceiling mounted. May be someone to look at sometime.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil a500x's are perfect for what you are trying to do
If I remember correctly, the 500X is only good up to 22" above the tank. I may have to "lower" my expectations and mount the lights closer to the tank, so the 500X's are a definite possibility. I do like my A360WE's!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely shoot an Email to 21LED, to see what he has to say. I have a 30watt Flood, from them, I call the the “Coral Burner.” Only problem is it’s square, and plugs in. He has outdoor lighting, that may suffice. For Blues, could you Mount Water Proof Strips just below the rim?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, the 500X is only good up to 22" above the tank. I may have to "lower" my expectations and mount the lights closer to the tank, so the 500X's are a definite possibility. I do like my A360WE's!

14:20 marker give or take for high mounting. I don't remember if BRS was trying to use their custom BRS heavy blue spectrum during the test or if it was left to Kessil's Logic. Kessil mentions on the product page for the a500x using the 35 degree reflector up to 4 feet of depth. Maybe it would be worth a email to their support and ask for some information.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14:20 marker give or take for high mounting. I don't remember if BRS was trying to use their custom BRS heavy blue spectrum during the test or if it was left to Kessil's Logic. Kessil mentions on the product page for the a500x using the 35 degree reflector up to 4 feet of depth. Maybe it would be worth a email to their support and ask for some information.

Finally, the most narrow reflector option (sold separately) which is 35° and was made for really deep tanks, up to 48" deep per Kessil. You can mount the light as high up as 24" from the water's surface without losing a considerable amount of PAR using this reflector option.
Now raise it 3x that height.

That light is about the same concept as the Orphek.

With the 35 degree lens you hit the water surface in a 38" circle.
At 20 more inches you have a 50" circle.

You have some control of the spectrum.

SpectrumTuna Blue + Red + Green + Purple (Violet+Indigo)
185W vs 320w for about $200 more, less than that when adding the controller or dongle.

Either way one isn't really enough except for an island effect.

THE ideal light would have a 50 degree beam angle and enough power to average 400-500PPFD over the 60" diameter circular surface area (at 60" height)

The added 20" isn't crucial as I will show using the inverse sq rule (not applicable to in water/glass since there is reflections and refraction "training" the light.

Soo inv sq rule is 2x distance 1/4 the power.
At 60" and 400"par" you should have 100 par at 120"
You only go from 60-80 at most.

BTW if one estimates the amount of white light leds to get that number you need 30000 Lux
or 220000 lumens.. IF I got this right.

Current white leds are about 120 lumens per watt.
1833 watts..

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now raise it 3x that height.

That light is about the same concept as the Orphek.

With the 35 degree lens you hit the water surface in a 38" circle.
At 20 more inches you have a 50" circle.

You have some control of the spectrum.

SpectrumTuna Blue + Red + Green + Purple (Violet+Indigo)
185W vs 320w for about $200 more, less than that when adding the controller or dongle.

Either way one isn't really enough except for an island effect.

Thought OP said 60" mounting height, 20" tall tank. So not 3x. Is the light still enough I don't know which is why I suggested them reaching out to Kessil if that light is of interest to them. Personally speaking I wouldn't get caught up in PAR numbers but rather how would the display look under any lighting at that height. Spread, spill, aesthetics and what not may be the bigger issue with PAR coming after.

The video I linked earlier has a cylinder display with lights over it. It is a large system with a lot of fish for nutrients. Maybe worth looking at since the display may be used for simulation purposes. Closed canopy though vs recessed so may not be apple to apple.

And no - one of whatever probably won't be enough so one has to also consider price point. I agree with you.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added to the above post..
60" vs 66" (22x3)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case it isn't clear, keep in mind Wattage vs footprint lighted/gallons lighted.

The biggest kessil is only 185 watts at full power. We are around 20 square feet of footprint and 245 gallons, starting at 5 feet above the tank.

Someone mentioned a 1000 watt halide. That is what my 'local' aquarium at Henry Doorly in Omaha uses to light a tidepool at floor level from the ceiling. So, if you're trying to mimic that, you're looking at about 4-5 200 watt class LEDs with very narrow reflectors. Maybe several 500x Kessils would work, but it's going to take several, with the right narrow reflectors.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LightingDirect has 19,782 Products, in Down Light Pendants. Might be able to use a Screw In Lamps and get the light closer to the Aquarium.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input and discussion! What if I lower the mounting height to 42" above the water's surface? I'm thinking to build the stand a bit taller and rather than recess the fixture up into the ceiling, attach it to the ceiling hanging down.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input and discussion! What if I lower the mounting height to 42" above the water's surface? I'm thinking to build the stand a bit taller and rather than recess the fixture up into the ceiling, attach it to the ceiling hanging down.
For a single light to cover 60" at 42" you need lens angle of approx 70 degrees.
Orphek amazonia choices would be 60 or 90.
Kessil 55 degrees.

You still need a "bunch o watts"..

According to Orphek at 60 degree and 1M (your 42") the light covers 1M (42") and a center lux of 19103
250-400 par depending on which spectrum they measured.
20" down and the periphery.. well lower.

For a typical 90 degree lens height should be about 30"

You have a LOT of side spread. One light is really really difficult.

2 Reefi Unos is $1070 plus 60 degree lenses and 540 total watts.
One of the better compromises..
12-13" on center, bit forward so as to put the weaker side in back if you so choose.

2 Amazonias would be 2x the cost but 50% more "light".

Make a "rack" and you can add cheap-ish bars as you deem necessary.

2 unos at your height and 60 degrees.
circtank2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a single light to cover 60" at 42" you need lens angle of approx 70 degrees.
Orphek amazonia choices would be 60 or 90.
Kessil 55 degrees.

You still need a "bunch o watts"..

According to Orphek at 60 degree and 1M (your 42") the light covers 1M (42") and a center lux of 19103
250-400 par depending on which spectrum they measured.
20" down and the periphery.. well lower.

For a typical 90 degree lens height should be about 30"

You have a LOT of side spread. One light is really really difficult.

2 Reefi Unos is $1070 plus 60 degree lenses and 540 total watts.
One of the better compromises..
12-13" on center, bit forward so as to put the weaker side in back if you so choose.

2 Amazonias would be 2x the cost but 50% more "light".

Make a "rack" and you can add cheap-ish bars as you deem necessary.

2 unos at your height and 60 degrees.
circtank2.jpg
You are the best! Thank you very much for this!

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll contact Reefi and see what they have to say about my project.
I've emailed Kessil and asked if any of their public aquarium fixtures would provide what I need. They have some pretty powerful cannons but I'm not sure about their programmability and spectrum. Waiting to hear back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back