Is this lighting 'idea' possible? Mount light 60" above the tank?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll contact Reefi and see what they have to say about my project.
I've emailed Kessil and asked if any of their public aquarium fixtures would provide what I need. They have some pretty powerful cannons but I'm not sure about their programmability and spectrum. Waiting to hear back.
Yea I never noticed those before.
Brief look at the spec sheet of one.
Typical Kessil control w/ 2 channels (assumed)

DMX run driver. Will add to the cost and complexity.
They do seem to have a "setting box".
8000-14000k, 0-100%.
I'll assume it is an option?
KSW2KNTLB. Fan cooled 800watts. 30 degrees or custom.
At 5ft 44849lux @6500k
Est. 600 par at the center surface
Using a " blue" model should be more . More watts.
Since par measures all photons equally over a 400-700 nm range it should not differ by color temp but mostly wattage, and efficiency.
Since most whites are royal blue plus phosphors I'm ignoring phosphor losses.

There are a lot of gotchas with estimates.

I'm curious as to the overall cost.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I never noticed those before.
Brief look at the spec sheet of one.
Typical Kessil control w/ 2 channels (assumed)

DMX run driver. Will add to the cost and complexity.
They do seem to have a "setting box".
8000-14000k, 0-100%.
I'll assume it is an option?
KSW2KNTLB. Fan cooled 800watts. 30 degrees or custom.
At 5ft 44849lux @6500k
Est. 600 par at the center surface
Using a " blue" model should be more . More watts.
Since par measures all photons equally over a 400-700 nm range it should not differ by color temp but mostly wattage, and efficiency.
Since most whites are royal blue plus phosphors I'm ignoring phosphor losses.

There are a lot of gotchas with estimates.

I'm curious as to the overall cost.
Daniel at Reefi has replied and provided me with a couple of options. He appears confident that either layout will provide the necessary PAR for the tank, mounted as hight as 60".
Reefi Uno 3 lights.png

Reefi Uno 4 light.png

Kessil just replied that they are happy to review my lighting needs based on the tank size and inhabitants' info. They will put together some options for me. I will share what they recommend.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone that might be interested, Daniel at Reefi did some testing for me. What great service!
A single Reefi Uno2 Pro, newest version, puts out 360 PAR, measured on a wall 60" away from the light, using the 60 degree lens. Pretty impressive. Unfortunately, I've watched a few YouTube videos on the Uno2 Pro and they don't produce hardly any shimmer even when placed only 9" above the water line. That's a big negative for me. I gotta have lots of shimmer.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone that might be interested, Daniel at Reefi did some testing for me. What great service!
A single Reefi Uno2 Pro, newest version, puts out 360 PAR, measured on a wall 60" away from the light, using the 60 degree lens. Pretty impressive. Unfortunately, I've watched a few YouTube videos on the Uno2 Pro and they don't produce hardly any shimmer even when placed only 9" above the water line. That's a big negative for me. I gotta have lots of shimmer.
Keep in mind shimmer is more a product of surface agitation.
not sure how much shimmer Kessil gets at 60" though.
It and ecoxotic may be your only choices left, or multiple "other" lights or bars.

I've found as my "needs" increase so does my $$$$$'s
A few narrow lensed light bars can supplement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case anyone is interested or for future reference. Kessil replied and graciously provide me with a few renderings of the tank using one of their public aquarium style LED fixtures, the W500N, at 60" height, the same fixture at 30" height, and ultimately, 4 fixtures at 60" height. WIth 4 W500N's, there would be full spread and 225 PAR in the center of the tank dropping to 200 PAR around the periphery. Four W500N's, with added controllers, is upwards of $5K. A bit out of budget.
Here's the link to the W500N: https://kessil.com/products/aquarium_W500N.php
Ultimately, it doesn't look as if one fixture, from any source, will be able to provide both the spread required, the PAR required, AND the controllability, I need at my desired mounting height.
Rethinking the lighting situation.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are planning a very novel tank, should be a fun project!

If planning to grow SPS, shadowing will be a problem with a single light source.

I run Reefi UNO 2.0s and they have decent shimmer when set to a whiter spectrum. You can always mix in some kessils, there is plenty of height above the tank for all the lights to blend together.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like this one: https://kessil.com/products/aquarium_W2KB.php

would be about right. 800 watts. At 60" above the surface and a 50 degree lens would be a spread of about 56".
It has the power, but not the color spectrum. Its LED's put out 8K and 14K. I had asked them to recommend a fixture that had close to the same spectrum range as their A360X.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has the power, but not the color spectrum. Its LED's put out 8K and 14K. I had asked them to recommend a fixture that had close to the same spectrum range as their A360X.
Do you get to pick between 8K and 14K or does it put out both? 800 watts at 14K, if it's like the old 14K MH bulbs, would be perfect, unless you like things really blue.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you get to pick between 8K and 14K or does it put out both? 800 watts at 14K, if it's like the old 14K MH bulbs, would be perfect, unless you like things really blue.
I'm not certain, but I think you can choose between the two and a mix of both with an additional controller. You're right, the 14K would look great during daytime viewing, but I have to admit, I really enjoy the all blue look at nighttime with my orange filter glasses on. The coloration of the anemones and SPS really pop and look very 'avatar' like. I find it very relaxing the last hour or so before bed. Having the full spectrum range is a priority.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are planning a very novel tank, should be a fun project!

If planning to grow SPS, shadowing will be a problem with a single light source.

I run Reefi UNO 2.0s and they have decent shimmer when set to a whiter spectrum. You can always mix in some kessils, there is plenty of height above the tank for all the lights to blend together.
The Reefi Uno 2's have definitely been added to the list of possibilities for this tank. I do like that they can be placed up high with the 60 degree lens and that they can run a full spectrum. Con is that it won't be as clean a look up above as I'd hoped. It may come down to 4 of the Uno 2's with a Kessil or two for shimmer or 2 of the Orphek Amazonas 960's.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the reefi triangle with a kessil in the middle with wide lens purely for shimmer. Not sure how it would blend but might be worth considering?

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've watched many videos on that tank and it never occurred to me that their lights are mounted as high as I was wanting to mount mine! Thanks for pointing that out! I noticed though that the tank is predominately filled with what I would consider low to moderate light corals, with a few SPS here and there. I wonder what the PAR is in that tank with all those Radions and what intensity they run them all at? I need to calculate the number of XR30's or XR15's I would need. I truly didn't think they could handle the mounting height I was wanting.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the reefi triangle with a kessil in the middle with wide lens purely for shimmer. Not sure how it would blend but might be worth considering?
Yep, that's a strong consideration! I need to figure out how to mount them all and keep it clean looking. I don't think recessing them all in the ceiling would look very good, so now I have to figure out a sort of floating canopy.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case anyone is interested or for future reference. Kessil replied and graciously provide me with a few renderings of the tank using one of their public aquarium style LED fixtures, the W500N, at 60" height, the same fixture at 30" height, and ultimately, 4 fixtures at 60" height. WIth 4 W500N's, there would be full spread and 225 PAR in the center of the tank dropping to 200 PAR around the periphery. Four W500N's, with added controllers, is upwards of $5K. A bit out of budget.
Here's the link to the W500N: https://kessil.com/products/aquarium_W500N.php
Ultimately, it doesn't look as if one fixture, from any source, will be able to provide both the spread required, the PAR required, AND the controllability, I need at my desired mounting height.
Rethinking the lighting situation.
So about 1k plus more than 4 Orphek Amazonias.
Fanless and bulky.

4 Reefi's is under 2k...
Tiny form factor but need to leave clearance for fan

I'd also discard the in ceiling mounting.
Mostly just because it's a pia on numerous levels

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 1k plus more than 4 Orphek Amazonias.
Fanless and bulky.

4 Reefi's is under 2k...
Tiny form factor but need to leave clearance for fan

I'd also discard the in ceiling mounting.
Mostly just because it's a pia on numerous levels
Agreed! Just heard from Daniel at Reefi. 4 Uno 2 Pro's will put out over1400 PAR at the surface from 60" when at 100%, 700+ PAR at 50% intensity! WOW!
And provide a more full spectrum. I am only concerned about the lack of shimmer, so supplement with a Kessil will likely be needed. Gotta have strong shimmer!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back