Is This Normal Clown Breathing?

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a new 1.5" clown in copper QT for two weeks, and now he has been in observation an additional week. He has always been active and eating, but his breathing has always been short and fast. I have never had a clownfish before, so I am not sure what to expect -- maybe it is just the way they are? Or do you think he has some sort of issue? I just want to make sure before releasing into my DT. Video below (i turned off flow to film).

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was he treated for two weeks in a different tank, then transferred to the current one? How's ammonia been holding up?

He doesn't look too bad to me in the video, but its hard to tell with all of the bobbing/strange swimming patterns that clowns do lol (which is definitely normal, just hard to focus on the gills specifically)

OP
OP
blitzkragz

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was he treated for two weeks in a different tank, then transferred to the current one? How's ammonia been holding up?

He doesn't look too bad to me in the video, but its hard to tell with all of the bobbing/strange swimming patterns that clowns do lol (which is definitely normal, just hard to focus on the gills specifically)
Two weeks of copper in a different tank (with other classmates), yes. The ammonia badge is showing no ammonia, and it got a 50% water change two days ago. I put a brighter light over it, maybe this will show him better (more clown bobbing and weaving hehe). Just hoping it is normal before I consider graduating him to DT. Thanks!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only copper? No other preventative treatments?

The biggest parasitic threats I would worry about in this case (not covered by copper) would be gill flukes and brooklynella. I know there is some debate about prophylactic treatment, so I won’t say you should treat without symptoms... but I do think that if they are not being treated preemptively then maybe a few extra weeks of observation would be a safer course of action.

His breathing does look a little fast, but it could just be the stress of being in QT... or it could be something affecting his gills. If you want, could do a 5-minute freshwater dip to check for flukes and at least rule out that possibility.

OP
OP
blitzkragz

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only copper? No other preventative treatments?

The biggest parasitic threats I would worry about in this case (not covered by copper) would be gill flukes and brooklynella. I know there is some debate about prophylactic treatment, so I won’t say you should treat without symptoms... but I do think that if they are not being treated preemptively then maybe a few extra weeks of observation would be a safer course of action.

His breathing does look a little fast, but it could just be the stress of being in QT... or it could be something affecting his gills. If you want, could do a 5-minute freshwater dip to check for flukes and at least rule out that possibility.
He went through two rounds of General Cure (once in copper, another in this tank).

I just did a 5 minute freshwater dip in a dark pan, he took it like a champ (didn't even seem to notice he was in freshwater!). But there was nothing left over in the pan.

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that’s good, so that rules out flukes. I think brook is pretty unlikely considering it’s a clown and usually brook would show itself pretty quickly on them... but if you want to be extra safe, a week or two more of observation or a bath in ruby reef rally en route to DT would help mitigate that risk.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I missed it, was this a captive bred fish by chance. When I introduced my captive bred fish to my tank it took them awhile to start acting 'normal'.

Mine would lay down in the sand periodically and sometimes breathe fast as well, although they were perfectly healthy. After a few weeks they began to act as normal as a clownfish can lol.

OP
OP
blitzkragz

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that’s good, so that rules out flukes. I think brook is pretty unlikely considering it’s a clown and usually brook would show itself pretty quickly on them... but if you want to be extra safe, a week or two more of observation or a bath in ruby reef rally en route to DT would help mitigate that risk.
I will see if I can grab some ruby reef rally. Thanks!

OP
OP
blitzkragz

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I missed it, was this a captive bred fish by chance. When I introduced my captive bred fish to my tank it took them awhile to start acting 'normal'.

Mine would lay down in the sand periodically and sometimes breathe fast as well, although they were perfectly healthy. After a few weeks they began to act as normal as a clownfish can lol.
Yes! It was listed as "Onyx Percula Clownfish Premium - Captive Bred Grade A". Good to know someone had similar experience and it turned out healthy.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back